Cool things in Modo no one knows!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by drkollossus: ALT + LMB: left Right movment OR Up down Movement = Saturation.
CTRL + LMB: left Right movment OR Up down Movement = Hue.
But nothing I did seems to effect Brightness.

Shift adjusts the brightness.

-- Joe

09 September 2004
if u switch to maya navigation like me and when u press alt + LMB the viewport still rotate like lightwave/modo default/ go to the top of the view and press the button near the perspective button / in my case is "shaded"/, then uncheck the TrackBall Rotation.Everything is cool now and u can rotate the view like maya - max style.

09 September 2004
/ = Wireframe None
Ctrl + / = Wireframe Colored
Shift + / = Wireframe Uniform

09 September 2004
(Numeric Pad) / = Wireframe None
Ctrl + (Numeric Pad) / = Wireframe Colored
Shift + (Numeric Pad) / = Wireframe Uniform

/ alone equals turntable

Salut,
lluis

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by jangell: Shift adjusts the brightness.

-- Joe

Thanks Joe I'm finding that the answers to my questions are offten right under my nose.

Brad

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by triton: / = Wireframe None
Ctrl + / = Wireframe Colored
Shift + / = Wireframe Uniform

For all the people watching their model spin around That is the "/" on the numeric keypad.

Thanks for the tip Triton

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by c-g: For all the people watching their model spin around That is the "/" on the numeric keypad.

I'm personally a fan of Wobblevision, or as it is more humbly known, Oscillate. Select it from the "options" GL popup (the second one in the header that probably says "Texture" or "Wireframe" or something), then alt-rmb-drag your mouse in the 3D viewport to define the wobble range. Let go and watch the wobbly wackiness.

-- Joe

09 September 2004
I like it too, I usually free wheel the model though.

I just wanted to let people know since the "/" in question is way ... over...there..

09 September 2004
wobble is neat, giving me new ideas about my model

you can disable the selection filling in poly display mode, and just have around edges, can be less distracting.
goto where shading modes are in your view, it should be on top of your window and semi transperent icon. select properties and disable selection filling

09 September 2004
Change workplane orientation

Hover your mouse over a polygon and hit "Home". Bingo! You just fitted your Work Plane to Selection! PageUp and PageDn move the plane back and forth. Hit "End" and the Work Plane returns to it's normal position.

Using the Work Plane and positioning the Work Plane with "Home" will help keep you working in the perspective window and reduce the need for using the so-very-20th-century quad window setup. Very, very cool.

09 September 2004
To make a tube pretty fast, you can use the Torus Primitive:
Set the segments to 5 and the Bulge Top to an extreme high value.

Bear in mind that the top of the tube will only be an approximation. It won't be visible to the eye, but no perfect 90°. You can fix that by setting value of the vertexes, wich can still be alot faster than making you own tube.

Cheers,
Andy

09 September 2004
Haven't gotten my docs yet so ya'll probably know all these things.

1. when drawing a primitive draggin w/ right mouse button up/down and left/right increases/decreases segments (used to have to arrow in Modeler and post-edit in Maya, so it's cool you can do it on the fly)

2. and this is really neat b/c I did it by accident. '0' on the numeric keypad maximizes your viewport (like in LW) - but you can hit '0' on ANY viewport to maximize it. I did this on vertex lists on accident and boom - full screen. Pretty cool.

***this is really usefull w/ command history if you have a smaller monitor - hover over the little command dialog on the lower right of the standart 4 port modo layout and hit '0' - your command history comes up fullscreen.

3. drag and drop an image from explorer right onto a material and it automatically brings up the UV widget and assigns the image to the material. again, did this by accident while assigning a backdrop to the viewport. cool

-Greg

Last edited by leuey : 09 September 2004 at 06:02 AM.

09 September 2004
Material Control not in the default material editor.

Try this, Open up your material editor (F4)

Split the Material Properties viewport (hold ctrl while left click and drag down from the thumb)

So now you'll have two Material Properties viewports.

On the title bar of one of them, right click and select "Texture Properties"

09 September 2004
Selecting open ends quickly....

One of the programmers showed me this recently....

Create a Unit Box, Select and delete one of the faces

Without anything selected, hold down the control key and select "convert to edge boundry" (edge select button + ctrl)

modo has gone through and selected all of the open ends on your model. Excellent for quickly selecting any open holes on your model.

On top of that...

Create a unit sphere, select a dozen or so poly's all over the model (make sure that no two are touching)
Ctrl-X to delete them

Without anything selected hold down ctrl and hit the edge selection button

All of the borders around all of the holes have been selected.

Hit "p"

Wee little time saver....

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by Dion Burgoyne: Selecting open ends quickly....

One of the programmers showed me this recently....

Create a Unit Box, Select and delete one of the faces

Without anything selected, hold down the control key and select "convert to edge boundry" (edge select button + ctrl)

modo has gone through and selected all of the open ends on your model. Excellent for quickly selecting any open holes on your model.

On top of that...

Create a unit sphere, select a dozen or so poly's all over the model (make sure that no two are touching)
Ctrl-X to delete them

Without anything selected hold down ctrl and hit the edge selection button

All of the borders around all of the holes have been selected.

Hit "p"

Wee little time saver....
That's cool!
Thanks Dion!

reply share thread