Feature requests for modo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by TrexGreg: WHAT??? You have to hold Shift or CTRL to add / remove selections ???
Damn! After 12 years working with Lightwave's Modeler, i'll have to fry my brain out to get used to that!
Please, do a realy quick fix on that! Add the ability to alter that mode to our likes...

Best regards,

Thats right it really sucks to have it behave like every other program when you select something. Have you ever used photoshop or even windows? They have you use shift to add to the selection. Ctrl does let you select discontinous items but you are still pressing them and not having the program read your mind.
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by lwbob: Thats right it really sucks to have it behave like every other program when you select something. Have you ever used photoshop or even windows? They have you use shift to add to the selection. Ctrl does let you select discontinous items but you are still pressing them and not having the program read your mind.

i kinda agree that having to use 2 buttons to do the job isnt the nicest solution. even though its pretty much standard doesnt mean its the best way to do things.

i like how clay does it. it takes about a few sessions to get used to it but its soo nice not to ever have to switch keys between adding/subtracting. cant say what the guy did to solve the problem. but i assure you its WAY more comfortable
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by ambient-whisper: i kinda agree that having to use 2 buttons to do the job isnt the nicest solution. even though its pretty much standard doesnt mean its the best way to do things.

i like how clay does it. it takes about a few sessions to get used to it but its soo nice not to ever have to switch keys between adding/subtracting. cant say what the guy did to solve the problem. but i assure you its WAY more comfortable

I have to say that after years of using LW i had no problem adapting to the Shift/Add Ctrl/Subtract selection mode. I only wish there was an invert selection mode like Maya has.

Still, it might be good to have an option to switch so users can use what they like most. It's not high on my list though.

I would love to have Bridge and Connect. They are pretty high on my list.
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by pabloD: I only wish there was an invert selection mode like Maya has.

What is special about the way Maya does it?
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by loocas:
1) I still haven't found a way to reassign my mouse buttons? I'm very used to max and it's quad menus, which I love, and I'd like to get some of the customizable Pie menus...


It would be cool if pie menus allowed more than just 8 (I think it's 8..) items per pie menu. As it is, if you have more things in your pie menu form they just don't show up.

Also, not everything works as all kinds of menus. For instance I couldn't get all of the default left-side menus (vert, edge, etc.) to work as pie menus--they prefer to function as pop-overs.
 
  09 September 2004
Red face

Originally Posted by isobarxx: It would be cool if pie menus allowed more than just 8 (I think it's 8..) items per pie menu. As it is, if you have more things in your pie menu form they just don't show up.

I agree - that would be awesome - or even if the each of the either boxes had some sort of fly off menus that could be added (agg - hate to say it again - like maya)

and I would like to vote as well for more mouse configuration
__________________
Steve McRae
www.atomworks.com
www.vertexmonkey.com - resources for Luxology's modo
 
  09 September 2004
I like your idea on copying values from another xyz coorditate, triton. One little idea that I would borrow from Max would be: right click on arrows to zero out the value. Also, while dragging on the arrows to change the number value, right-click to escape changing the number (also in Max). Other changes that I would make involve making the pie menus better, or more like Maya's 'marking menus'. See my post here explaining this in detail: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=173567.

Of course I would second all the other posts in this thread (Edge slide, Byron tools, subD and poly views, ...)!

Last edited by visualride : 09 September 2004 at 09:50 PM.
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by Atomman: I agree - that would be awesome - or even if the each of the either boxes had some sort of fly off menus that could be added (agg - hate to say it again - like maya)


Just add a form as one of the pie slices; you can have it open as a popover (default), a pie or a popup (menu).

-- Joe

Last edited by jangell : 09 September 2004 at 10:04 PM.
 
  09 September 2004
Well... can I have more than one active backdrop image? It seems like I have to switch from one image to another every time I change my viewport? It works fine when I have all four viewports minimizet and I just paste my ref imgs into them. But when I maximize the backdrop tool just grabs one of the images and when I change my vieport it shows only that one!!?? That SUX! So is there a way to get my references on the background withou creating any geometry and mapping it then...?
__________________
- Lukáš Duběda | ADVERTS s.r.o. | duber's blog
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by loocas: Well... can I have more than one active backdrop image? It seems like I have to switch from one image to another every time I change my viewport? It works fine when I have all four viewports minimizet and I just paste my ref imgs into them. But when I maximize the backdrop tool just grabs one of the images and when I change my vieport it shows only that one!!?? That SUX! So is there a way to get my references on the background withou creating any geometry and mapping it then...?
Im having viewport problems also. I always work in a single viewport in perspective mode, and switch to ortho view with 1,2,3(Alt+1,2,3) to left,right,etc. If you put your backdrop image on the XY plane in perspective view, and switch to say a top view, the image well reorient itself to face you! Now switch back to the perspective view(.) you'll see the image is no longer laying flat on the XY plane anymore, but rather it re-oriented itself on the top plane(ZX). This is neither intutive or wanted. Its a pity you cant have seperate backdrop images for each view. If they can get that part to work more intuitively, they can also implement it to display different backdrop images base on the workplane orientation for the perspective view. So if the workplane is align to postive XY, it should display the "front" backdrop image, if its negative XY, it should display the "back" backdrop image. But this should be a option you can turn on/off in regards to it aligning multiple backdrop images in a perspective viewport. Also switching from a pespective viewport(with camera rotate option to: Oscillate) to say a top view, and jumping back to the pespective view, you lose Oscillate option, it resets back to Trackball(which i dont use much). The option should stay the same, regardless if im switching between different views.

For now, backdrop images and view switching isnt intuitve enough for me to use them, the workaround for me now is to set up multiple image planes on a its own layer.

If Lux implements Virtual Mirror, please just put it in the Symmerty button! Also about creating custom navigation, please make sure this is possible:

LMB= select/deselect

MMB(mouse wheel)=

A: click once; goes into rotation mode(LMB click to terimate rotation mode, and accept new camera oreintation),(RMB click to terminate rotation mode, and return to last camera orientation)
B: click and hold to pan
C: scroll mouse wheel up/down to zoom

RMB= context sensitive menu and or pie menu

Independent speed/sensitivety control for: pan,rotate,zoom. And last but not less, a invert mouse movement option.
__________________
Mirai 1.5: coming soon <-- Cuz XSI is a piece of shiet for modeling.
MR(mental ray) is crap, compare to Maxwell.

Last edited by Renderman_XSI : 09 September 2004 at 03:11 AM.
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by jangell: Just add a form as one of the pie slices; you can have it open as a popover (default), a pie or a popup (menu).

-- Joe

joe - thanks for that - every time I try to make this work however it crashes modo - are there any settings that I need to be wary of? - I have tried popup and default . . .

cheers,
__________________
Steve McRae
www.atomworks.com
www.vertexmonkey.com - resources for Luxology's modo
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by Atomman: joe - thanks for that - every time I try to make this work however it crashes modo - are there any settings that I need to be wary of? - I have tried popup and default . . .


Nothing I can think of. Make one of your crashers, then save the form and email it to me and I'll take a look.

Or mail me some exact repro steps and I'll try it out.

-- Joe
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by Atomman: I agree - that would be awesome - or even if the each of the either boxes had some sort of fly off menus that could be added (agg - hate to say it again - like maya)

and I would like to vote as well for more mouse configuration


you can have pie menus within pie menus...but i dont know about having a sublist like in maya
 
  09 September 2004
my feature request is to have a "draw split" tool....which allows you to draw your edges in any direction and not have to contrain to a single edge at a time like the edge slice which feels a bit slow and clunky.
 
  09 September 2004
Originally Posted by lwbob: Thats right it really sucks to have it behave like every other program when you select something. Have you ever used photoshop or even windows? They have you use shift to add to the selection. Ctrl does let you select discontinous items but you are still pressing them and not having the program read your mind.

ouch....dont know if changing that makes sense to non-lw users. Especially when using the rectangle select method where it is very common to drag over already selected components when shift clicking to toggle/invert the selection and shift+ctrl to add to selection.


my gripe is that it is only possible to marquee select the ENTIRE component and not a partial one.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.