Weird result when I press "Project All"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Unhappy Weird result when I press "Project All"

Hi Guys,

I am a beginner and following a tutorial for sculpting. I successfully sculpted the model and exported as .obj to retopolize in Maya. After re-topolizing I imported the model, increased its subdivision level to 2 and applied "Project all" to project the sculpting detail from original model to new re-topolized model but this gives me insane results. Can anybody help?

Before pressing "Project all".

Result after pressing "Project all".

Last edited by narendraK : 05 May 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I can't see your images so I'm gonna guess based on 2 issues I usually see,

1. normals, check that your normals are facing the correct direction, Maya does a poor job at displaying normals in a useful way by default and this can lead to unexpected problems in Z-Brush if you don't pay attention.

2. If it's not normals, it may be your project distance, try turning that down.

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Originally Posted by Jesse-Irvin: I can't see your images so I'm gonna guess based on 2 issues I usually see,

1. normals, check that your normals are facing the correct direction, Maya does a poor job at displaying normals in a useful way by default and this can lead to unexpected problems in Z-Brush if you don't pay attention.

2. If it's not normals, it may be your project distance, try turning that down.

Thanks Jesse, I have updated images so that you can see and advise accordingly. Till the time I will try the solutions you provided. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
you need to subdivide it more,
if project all does not work good the first time then you need to select UNDO and retry,
dont keep pressing project all or it may make it worst

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Red face Solved the issu :)

Hey guys, nothing worked including reducing distance and repositioning but I have got the solution for this problem from another forum polycount.

I just flipped the normals of my retopolised model and it worked. Another solution could be I didn't try is to use morph brush manually. By the way my issue is solved and I am happy now.

Here is the updated screenshot:

Thanks a lot for your suggestion friends.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
the first 2 images you where projecting at 9,608
the last image you where projecting at 36,522
so you must of subdivided it more or you was projecting the wrong one,
because the top two images the model was named Retopcleanup 002
and the last image is named Retopcleanup 003 unless they where just duplicated = the same
Originally Posted by informerman: you need to subdivide it more,

i think what fixed it was you subdivided more and you adjusted the DIST slider on the bottom image.
flipped normals problem should of showed up right away because by default double is not on in display properties

Last edited by informerman : 05 May 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Smile

Originally Posted by informerman: the first 2 images you where projecting at 9,608
the last image you where projecting at 36,522
so you must of subdivided it more or you was projecting the wrong one,
because the top two images the model was named Retopcleanup 002
and the last image is named Retopcleanup 003 unless they where just duplicated = the same

Actually it worked on second subdivision level after flipping normals that I was trying initially. I just repeated this step in third sub division level and used project all one more time.

Quote: i think what fixed it was you subdivided more and you adjusted the DIST slider on the bottom image.
flipped normals problem should of showed up right away because by default double is not on in display properties

Here it didn't seem to work. Before that I tried project all after increasing resolution of model but it didn't worked. Then I reduced the distance and tried at several values but it also didn't worked out. So I exported the model from maya in .obj format again by renaming it to RetopoCleanup_003 and imported it in zbrush.

Then I flipped the normals, increase the subdivision level to 2 and then used project all and it worked. So I guess the normal was the main problem.

When I imported model in maya the normals flipped in maya and when I exported it again to use in zbrush it created problem because in zbrush model normals were right. So maya flipped the normals without my knowledge that created whole mess.

By the way I learned many things while finding the solution of this problem. Thanks everyone for helping me to get a solution for this problem. Good learning for me.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by narendraK: . I just repeated this step in third sub division level and used project all one more time.

when you project all more then 1 time it can make it worst and even get spikes,
i project all 1 time and if it does not look good i do a UNDO then move the DIST slider and retry with project all

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Smile

Originally Posted by informerman: when you project all more then 1 time it can make it worst and even get spikes,
i project all 1 time and if it does not look good i do a UNDO then move the DIST slider and retry with project all

Understood your point buddy, will keep in mind as it will help me a lot.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread