CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Pixologic ZBrush
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Seena92

portfolio
BLANK
Afghanistan

Question Zbrush/Maya pipeline issues.

Hey guys, I hope everybody is doing well on the forums today.

I'm having some Zbrush/Maya pipeline issues that I need some help with.

I'm trying to recreate the dragon from game of thrones and I keep facing topology errors when i try to remesh it.

Here's the process that I followed:

1.ZSpheres to create the model.
2.Basic shaping of the polymesh (at this point I might stretch the polygons to an extreme so I can get the shape that I like).
3.QRemesh the model to fix the stretched polygons before I move on to a higher SubD.

This is where I'm facing a lot of problems.

First problem is that the fingers start disappearing, I try to mask the out before I qremesh but then I face another problem that the mesh's topology doesn't match the fingers and vice versa and you can usually tell they don't fit together just by looking at it.

After qremeshing I project all to a clone of the original model and SubD and reproject all. This works well but again I face issues with the edges of the fingers and tail and teeth where they don't have enough topology from the previous step and I end up with a big tri as a finger.

So I ended up qremeshing different parts of the same body at different times using masks and reprojecting using masks as well. It's a very messy process at the end and the results aren't that great, certainly not professional level.

This is the point where I started adding in the wings and the horns on his back and realized that it's not a unified mesh in Maya and I might have problems when it come to rigging and animating the model. Poly's cutting into each other is not sexy. So thought about the only way I know to merge subtools seamlessly in Zbrush, DynaMesh.

DynaMesh pipeline:

1.Use Dynamesh to create the model.
2.Sculpt and add details, seamlessly merge different parts of the model into a single mesh.

By this point the dragon looks great and perfect but it's usually has millions of poly's and it's not animation friendly or usable in a game engine and because I used DynaMesh I don't have a low poly version of the model anymore to bake the details on in Maya.

I end up using qremesher to cut the poly's in half and repeat the process to get to the poly count that I like and even with the use of the QRemesher brush to guide the topology I end up with the same problems as the first process, tri fingers.

So what I'm asking for is, Has anyone perfected a pipeline to create high detailed low poly models using Maya and ZBrush that can be used for rigging and animation in both film and game environments?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread