zBrush creating unwanted lines on displacement map

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
zBrush creating unwanted lines on displacement map

Hello all. I am desperate. I have spent HOURS trying to research an answer to my problem. Any thread that I find related to my question, including on this website, either has gone unanswered or the solutions that were given did not work for me.

When I export a displacement map from ZBrush it is creating lines on areas that I have not sculpted instead of remaining a 50% gray like it should where untouched. It looks like this:

Please help. My work project depends on finding a solution to this problem.

04 April 2013
Is this the mesh you are showing?
Or just the displacement map?

Danne

04 April 2013
what are your displacement map creation settings?

04 April 2013
displacement map are created by zsub or zadd or some kind of deformation of the mesh like a brush that may deform it, it has nothing to do with polypaint or paint colors.

displacement map are normally created from very high dense mesh with zsub or zadd,
or some kind of deformation of the mesh like a brush that may deform it.
im not sure what app your trying to export to but try zplugin >multi map exporter > displacement
and way below there is > displacement map >options setting

Last edited by informerman : 04 April 2013 at 03:24 AM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by dannepop@mac.com: Is this the mesh you are showing?
Or just the displacement map?

Danne

It is just the displacement map. The only thing I have displaced was that small corner where there are not the straight lines.

Originally Posted by musashidan: what are your displacement map creation settings?

I believe it was 512 at subdiv level 6 when I had a total of 7 subdiv levels and I was exporting while on subdiv level 1.

Originally Posted by informerman: displacement map are created by zsub or zadd or some kind of deformation of the mesh like a brush that may deform it, it has nothing to do with polypaint or paint colors.

displacement map are normally created from very high dense mesh with zsub or zadd,
or some kind of deformation of the mesh like a brush that may deform it.
im not sure what app your trying to export to but try zplugin >multi map exporter > displacement
and way below there is > displacement map >options setting

Thank you, that is exactly what I've been doing though. I think I MAY have figured out my problem completely by accident, or at least lessened it. The edges where these lines were showing up were hard edges with a 90 degree angle. It seems that if I add edge loops near the edges and then turn on Smooth when I subdivide in ZBrush, the lines are gone or greatly lessened when I export my displacement map. Not sure why that is, but I guess it works for now.

04 April 2013
when you export the displacement map is the white line causing a problem?
the lines are where the uv seams are at and i dont think you want them to have displacement on all of the seams.

do a test on the default project cube and you will all so see white lines,
under displacement map setting you can all so turn off smooth UV

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread