Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Zbrushworkshops.com videos observations

I decided to try a months subs of zbrushworkshops to get an idea of how well known artists work, as opposed to the strictly tutorial videos we all watch when starting to learn ZBrush. As a 3D hobbyist lacking in arts training, I want to learn a bit about how they approach projects. By the way, am I the only one who thinks Ryan Kingslien could talk til the cows come home before getting to the points, and his videos are almost like lectures what with writing on the screen and all that talking? But.......the message does come across and that's the main thing. I suppose he must know what he is doing. His voice is pleasant enough and his accent not a problem for me to understand.

Anyway, I digressed there. In a tut video by Magdalena Dadela where she makes a Napoleon, she digs up a starter male mesh and mentions that its common practice to use a generic mesh for games and then sculpt it to whatever character they want. I didn't know that, but it does make sense.

Last edited by Dillster : 03-10-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

I enjoy Ryan's lecture about anatomy stuff a lot. Reminds me so much of my anatomy drawing class I had in collage.

Another thing you probably picked up is how the model falls into the right shapes so early on in his video. Even at very low res. That's the main trait that separates video from the pro from video from amateur imo. On youtube you'd see so many videos where people start subdividing and apply surface texture details without their form even in place.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
ragdoll
abuser of the ellipses...

rj torralba
animator
Telltale
USA

back in my day we started with cubes, in maya, with a mechanical mouse and one crt monitor. you kids have it easy! [/jk]

Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
wildjj
Frequenter
portfolio
James Wayne
Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
......By the way, am I the only one who thinks Ryan Kingslien could talk til the cows come home before getting to the points, and his videos are almost like lectures what with writing on the screen and all that talking?....

Ryan does talk a lot, but it's all part of the learning. He gives an insight to how the professionals think, plan and work and he does it all while teaching you the ropes of ZBrush. One thing is for sure, you won'r ever get bored watching a Ryan Kinslien video.
My only gripes about zbrushworkshops is they don't have enough content and don't update it often enough. Also the user account has no adjustments, you can't even change your password.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
Another thing you probably picked up is how the model falls into the right shapes so early on in his video. Even at very low res.

Yes that's something that impresses. They are focussed on the form right from the start, get the maximum from one subdivision and know exactly when to bump up to the next one. Also if something isn't working the way they want it, they have no hesitation about starting over.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll
back in my day we started with cubes, in maya, with a mechanical mouse and one crt monitor. you kids have it easy! [/jk]

Yeah my Dad had a huge crt monitor. In winter I used to heat my hands off it when I came in from playing outside. It weighed so much that he had to put a metal bar under the top of his workdesk to stop it bending. When he got LCD monitors, we had great fun smashing the CRT with a slingshot and some glass marbles.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
scarywithoutfangs
portfolio
Desmond.G
Micronesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
On youtube you'd see so many videos where people start subdividing and apply surface texture details without their form even in place.

ryan usually start with highres mesh too, and thats the part where i dont quite get it about his way on sculpt things. but hey, he is the pro and im the noob maybe he has some good reason to do with that kind of workflow.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

It has its place.

There's a difference between working off a high res mesh, and adding detail to one.
ZBrush working on the HR mesh will often be a bit too coarse, especially with smooths and alphas.
You can start right off with 4 or 5 mills and if your brushes are large enough you can still be doing rough work.

It's more a matter of what type of responsiveness and workflow you like.

Of course if someone with no general shape roughed out starts adding skin pores, then they are setting themselves up for disaster, or at the very least for a helluva lot of reprojections with loss of detail following every remeshing and re-doing of work.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

After watching some more of Ryan's videos, I've concluded that the way he does it is very clever.
All the talking and pausing is I think deliberate, and it gives you time to keep up with him on a project. There is no pressure or rush to finish the project, and all his key points sink home. Then every so often an important moment in the project happens and you hit it very easily and sometimes almost unconciously.
Very well thought out I have to say.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I've never used zbrushworkshops.com but I have used some of his tutorials in the past and I've signed up for just about every seminar he puts on at the Visualarium. Ryan is a master at anatomy. He has studied it a long time and when he puts his pen to the sculpt he doesn't have to waste strokes because he knows exactly what its supposed to look like at any subdivision level. Riven Phoenix described it as "your invention." Basically, when you know it that well, you don't have to think about it anymore. That's the place I want to get to one day.

Ps. I'll bet if you asked him, Ryan probably doesn't think he's mastered anatomy.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Ps. I'll bet if you asked him, Ryan probably doesn't think he's mastered anatomy.

That's probably a sign of someone who always strives to be even better.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #12
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Ryan seams to me to teach people as there a beginner.
this can lead to be a long out boring tutorial .
but then again if he skipped the beginner stuff then beginner would be asking lots of question he left out
some people have there own style, so chose the one that best fits you> beginner>intermediate >advance.
i know he likes to talk and draw all over the place like a chalk board teacher but thats his style.

personally when i teach i like to get to the point with a few tips and move on,
less confusing
and works for all 3, beginner>intermediate >advance

Last edited by informerman : 03-21-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by informerman

personally when i teach i like to get to the point with a few tips and move on,
less confusing
and works for all 3, beginner>intermediate >advance

This is all well and good when you're teaching people the tools: 'click this to do this....etc', but Ryan is a highly respected teacher(and in his words, student) of anatomy. Yes, he knows Zbrush like the back of his hand and has played an important role in it's developement over the years, but his main goal is to further his, and in turn, our understanding of the concepts and ideas of the massively complex intricacies of anatomical study. He is deeply passionate about the subject and it really shows in his teaching methods. He is attempting to teach people something that takes years and years to learn using online workshop lectures. As most of the best, and most well-known, Zbrush artists come from a traditional sculpting background, he is using the ZbrushWorkshops as a terrific resource for those of use who will never benefit from that background.
To get the opportunity to learn from the likes of Cesar Dacol Jnr. and Krishnamurti Costa is a dream come true in itself...

Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
This is all well and good when you're teaching people the tools: 'click this to do this....etc.

wouldn't that be the First thing you want to Learn?

Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by informerman
wouldn't that be the First thing you want to Learn?

Of course, but explaining in depth why/how Zbrush works(as Ryan does) the way it does is important to newcomers as alot of people get really frustrated with the UI/workflow if they're already familiar with a traditional 3D app.

Thread Closed share thread