Help needed for Matching Subtools from Scaled Maya import

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Help needed for Matching Subtools from Scaled Maya import

Hey everyone.

I'm fairly new to the whole Zbrush world, but i'm loving the program already.

But i'm having a bit of a dilemma.
I created a base mesh in Maya, imported it into Zbrush and began creating details, no problem.
Then I read about scaling an object after displacment maps are created, is bad.
Sooo, I decided to re-import my base mesh into maya, and create "Better" UV's + Rescale it to the proper scale I'm using in my shortfilm.

But now my basemesh is way to big, compared to the previous Zbrush high detailed model I need to transfere the details from.
Is there a smart work around to, rescale the Fine detail model to the new base mesh scale, without having to guess with the Transposer / deformation features?

Should be noted I Rescaled and moved the object to the center in my Maya scene, since it was abit off inside Zbrush when I created it.

I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to do =)

Also, If/after I get the whole model aligned, what would be the best way to transfere the details?
Would it be "Project" tab in the Subtools and have the high details underneath and play with the Project settings?
Or
Subdivide the low mesh to the highmesh's subdivions and import the highmesh into the low so it creates the mesh?
Or is there another smart way? =)

- Ancker

Last edited by Ancker : 02 February 2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Title misleading

Old 02 February 2013   #2
you can scale an object after displacement is created but you just need to set up an expression in Maya to scale the displacement map settings when the object is scaled. I wrote a how-to in my 101 Autodesk Maya Tips ebook (linked below) and I think that tip is in the free download segment so just grab that and it will show you how to do that. Don't start scaling stuff back and forth between Maya and ZBrush - it will just create problems for ZBrush when details are remapped to the base mesh. So sculpt it at any size and just handle scaling in Maya with the appropriate expression

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thanks cgbeige, Unfortunately I couldn't get to the free sample page, but I did a quick google search for the expressions.

Could it be something like this?
file1.alphaGain = pSphere1.scaleX;?
file1.alphaOffset = (x * pSphere1.scaleX);?

Will definitely use the expression method in the future, instead of rescaling after details have been applied.

Howver, is there any way to salvage what I have done so far?
Since I UV-ed and fixed the mesh seams, would be a shame to lose the work, if there was a workaround.

Also a little side question, what if I created everything, so the model have scalable expression displacment map. I go into Maya begin to resize it and are happy with the quallity etc, but further along the pipeline, I want to add a few loops to the basemesh for extra details?
Would I then have to resize it back to the original, GOZ and then work from there?

Thanks in advance =)

Old 02 February 2013   #4
in zbrush
Tool>Deformation> Unify

Old 02 February 2013   #5
<3 informerman! That did the trick, Thanks!

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread