Zbrush to maya displacement map

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Zbrush to maya displacement map

Hi fellas, I'm running out of options in a very common problem that I can't seem to find a solution.
The seams on my displacement map are visible, I am using maya 2013 and Zbrush 4r4
From the pictures can you tell m what am I doing wrong? I am using tangent displacement since it will be for an animation.

The problem:

The mesh / UV:

The settings:

I've spend many hours trying on the internet trying to find the answer to this problem... it's driving me mad....
Thanks in advance

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Did you load in the original model as a morph target before exporting the maps?
The base model will have changed slightly since you stared sculpting on it

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thanks for the reply
well thought, but I exported the basemesh when I created the disp. maps.
This is a very specific problem, it happens when I use tangent vector displacement, if I use world vector displacement or standard displacement maps it renders fine.

what concerns me is the seams visible at the edge of the polygons in the low resolution mesh in maya, not the UV seams.

I've made a simple cube, sculpted a bit on it and it has the same problem.
I've tried mudbox and it has the same problem.

I'm starting to think that this is a bug on maya 2013... so I'm using standard displacement maps for the time being.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
the problem is likely that your UVs don't meet horizontally where the displacement meets. See my blog post here:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...ost/19733351349

It's impossible to have two different UV edges cutting diagonally across pixels and have them form a clean edge after being displaced. That means doing some UV alignment finagling and relaxing the interior of the shell.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Originally Posted by cgbeige: the problem is likely that your UVs don't meet horizontally where the displacement meets. See my blog post here:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...ost/19733351349

It's impossible to have two different UV edges cutting diagonally across pixels and have them form a clean edge after being displaced. That means doing some UV alignment finagling and relaxing the interior of the shell.

while searching for a solution, I've also stumbled upon you blog, and thought to myself: "now thats a great idea"
but, what concerns me isn't the uv seams, but the seams on the surface of the mesh... it's worth trying your technique, or it won't solve my problem? remember that this happens only with vector displacement in tangent space.

once again thanks for the tip

Old 02 February 2013   #6
well, I use V-Ray for Maya and there's no way to get ZBrush's vector displacement to work with V-Ray yet, so I haven't used it. But you're definitely going to have to worry about seam alignment for vector displacement as well. It doesn't matter that the seams align in object space – the only way you're going to get them to meet after displacement is if you align the UVs. That's why people like Ptex so much - it alleviates this problem entirely since it is built on aligned squares. Unfortunately ZBrush doesn't have Ptex support yet but you can try the auto-tiled UVs if you don't want to manually align shell edges.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by cgbeige: well, I use V-Ray for Maya and there's no way to get ZBrush's vector displacement to work with V-Ray yet, so I haven't used it. But you're definitely going to have to worry about seam alignment for vector displacement as well. It doesn't matter that the seams align in object space – the only way you're going to get them to meet after displacement is if you align the UVs. That's why people like Ptex so much - it alleviates this problem entirely since it is built on aligned squares. Unfortunately ZBrush doesn't have Ptex support yet but you can try the auto-tiled UVs if you don't want to manually align shell edges.

CGbeige, thanks for the heads-up, I'll see what i can do about the UV layout seams, i'll post the results, but your process is very clever,
Also, I intend to try ptex in a future project, it really looks like a efficient process

BTW, did you write the 101 tips for maya? it looks like a good reading, I'll buy it :-)

Old 02 February 2013   #8
yes, I wrote that ebook. It's got some tips for ZBrush users in Maya as well - like how to lock displacement map scale to object scale with an expression.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Zbrush 4r4 Displacment Map Issues

I am having a similar problem with my displacement map (see below), can anyone please give some advice? Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/yr2h.jpg/

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Are you sure your UV's aren't overlapping, it seems that there is some overlapping
cheers

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread