Best way to learn Zbrush?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Best way to learn Zbrush?

I have some time off coming up and I've owned a copy of Zbrush for a while now, and just can't seem to learn the program. I've tried a couple books and a video series, well, sort of tried. Anyway, going to give it another attempt, whats the best resource out there to learn this? I'm going to try the videos again, but thought I'd see what you guys thought, or how did you learn it? I know 3d pretty well, but I can't wrap my head around how Zbrush works enough to be as good at it, most of the techniques or ways I would plan to build something say in 4D , Maya, or Max just don't apply.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
I picked up Zbrush for a recent job and was up and running comfortably within a week (was a very intense week!).

These are the 3 resources I relied on, all were really good:
Introduction to Zbrush 4 Essential Training:
http://www.lynda.com/ZBrush-4-tutor...ng/76980-2.html

Introducing Zbrush 4 by Eric Keller:
http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Z.../ref=pd_sim_b_1

Zclassroom, official Pixologic learning site (to learn about 4r1-4R4 features):
http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

I've now been using the program for around 6 weeks, very comfortable with it. Moving past the basics and trying to learn more and more every day! I try to do at least 1 quick 20 minute sculpt per day, just to keep on track!

Good luck learning the program, once you start to 'enjoy' it, (getting past the annoying quirks) you won't look back. I now use Zbrush in the creation of most models. You don't need to use another program to make your basemesh, but if you do want to do that, it's so easy to make a very rough shape in your main 3D software, 'goZ' it to zbrush, and 1 click dynamesh and you're good to go!

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Michael is right, you just have to use it a bit each day and things will fall into place.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thanks guys for the encouragement and the links! I learned Max and C4D so fast for jobs after starting in Maya, Zbrush I feel handicapped, haha, but I get its a different workflow. They keep giving me new copies so I should learn it!!

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread