Learning Zbrush rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Learning Zbrush rendering

Hi to all.
I want learn Zbrush rendering, the reason is I want doing all inside zbrush, so eliminating import/export issue, unwrap model (argh....) and long time rendering (I know you mental ray).

Zbrush rendering impressed me (I saw some Pixolator works on Zbrush central), but cannot full understood it.

My issue are:
1) When I assign a material (M button pressed and press Fill Object under colour palette) the material become a property of the object, I can assign, for example, Toy plastic to a specific subtool, cage its parameters, but if I want assign toyplastic to another subtool, and assign different parameters to it, I cannot doing so, the material remain the some... Hope you understood what I mean. How can assign the some material nome to different object and differentiate it independently each other?
2) When assign material to an object all work well, but sometime, when I have many subtools and assign different material, the last material assigned override the material previously assigned to other subtools. it is me, or a bug?
3) SSS, when want activate (from Light and by BRP meny) Zbrush automatically apply it to my entire material... is correct? Look a bit unlogic for me, SSS must be a material property, and so I need to find it into material/shader palette and not aplied to entire scene.

Thanks for your time

EDIT: another point:
Can apply a texture like a bump? I would like to polypaint my model (I have already the UVmap), export like UV, manipulating it into photoshop import back in zbrush and apply it like bump map. Can be done?

Last edited by Ciuccio : 11 November 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
if you have subtool and want to change the material you have to select the subtool you want to change,
once you fill object with material it will not change material if you switch to a different material,
all subtools that dont have material fill object applied will change to the same material in the material pallet,
if you have a subtool that has fill object material and for some reason its not changing and you want to change then UN check the paint brush icon in subtool and try fill object again, just make sure M material channel is on
video on render http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDDcQHXG6M

Last edited by informerman : 11 November 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thanks very much for your reply.

Ok, I fill my object with the new material, but when I have more than 5 subtool, seems zbrush don't work correctly and when try to apply material to a new one (the previous was correctly fill with their materials) zbrush fill not only the current subtool but also the previous subtools with the current material. Hope I explain correctly what I mean, I'm not english...

Also, I have a strange issue, after a bit of sculpt zbrush "forgot" my customized shortcut, they don't work (in particular I mean brushes), when I roll over mouse the shortcut is correctly record under the brush icon (i.e. Standard brush has assigned ALT+S hot key, it stop working after a bit, but into brush palette, on roll over mouse, the Standard BRush display the correct hotkey). I registers correctly my hotkeys. If I close zbrush and start again the hotkey work correctly (for a bit). Again, it is me or is a bug?

Old 11 November 2012   #4
i would need to see a video of what your doing,
most of the time on new people that start to use zbrush its a human error rather then a software error

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Did you make the model in ZRrush or import an obj? I remember a while back someone posting on the zcentral forum with this issue, or a very similar one. Sorry I can't remember the solution, all I remember is they had imported an obj.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Thanks for your reply.
Mesh imported.

But I find where was the error. I did the right steps, but I customized my zbrush interface and Fill Object button was in my upper interface. The issue desappears, but sometime turn back, I find the solution saving my materials into Zdata/Materials/Startup folder, now it all ok.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
I've been intermittently having this issue with one project. I'd forgotten about it because I restarted the project and it didn't happen again. When I read your thread a few days a go I reopened the original problematic version of the project and it still does the same thing with the materials. So I went back to the ZBrush forum and dug up some old threads and added my post there. It does seem to be an issue for some people, and is probably worth letting Pixolgic know about.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread