Quick Dynamesh Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Quick Dynamesh Question

Hey Guys I am currently modeling some clothing in Zbrush, I modeled the base in Max and then imported into Zbrush to begin sculpting. The original model in Max had a shell modifier applied so as to give it some volume.

In Zbrush I was hoping to convert the model to Dynamesh so as to perform some Dynamesh Subtractions and attach other pieces of the coat to the original model and then retopo the entire model afterwards, however this is the result once I use the Dynamesh function. I have a feeling there is no way around this but thought I would ask in-case a more experienced Zbrush artist/user could help me .

This is the Base Coat Model now before Dynamesh,

This is the model After I activate Dynamesh :O

Basically what I want to do is model the pocket covers separately then attach them to the Coat and then also cut in the button holes, if there is no way around the prob above then is there another way to do that in Zbrush?

Thank you all for your patience and willingness to help

Last edited by executioner1939 : 11 November 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
your images are not showing in your post.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Hey, I have fixed the images and tested them, they are apparently showing now

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Dynamesh works best in certain situations and this isn't really one of them. If you intend to retopo after sculpt then just work the button holes into your retopo. Also, it's likely the shell mod is causing the error.
There's no need to add thickness to your mesh until after you retopo.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Originally Posted by musashidan: Dynamesh works best in certain situations and this isn't really one of them. If you intend to retopo after sculpt then just work the button holes into your retopo. Also, it's likely the shell mod is causing the error.
There's no need to add thickness to your mesh until after you retopo.

Thank you very much for your advice , I guess I will just do it the way you suggested

Old 11 November 2012   #6
2 of the reason your getting holes is your dynamesh resolution is to low
and if you have double geometry and its thin then it will create holes,
the thicker the less of a chance of holes.

to make holes there is all kinds of ways but you can use mask and delete hidden,
to add thickness you dont want to double your geo so you can fake it by all open edges and extrude.
you can do this by store morph target then deformation inflate to like 10
then morph target create diff, then select your new mesh and delete the inner shell and leave the ring around the open edges to create/fake thickness
http://i.imgur.com/n6NDI.jpg

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Originally Posted by informerman: 2 of the reason your getting holes is your dynamesh resolution is to low
and if you have double geometry and its thin then it will create holes,
the thicker the less of a chance of holes.

to make holes there is all kinds of ways but you can use mask and delete hidden,
to add thickness you dont want to double your geo so you can fake it by all open edges and extrude.
you can do this by store morph target then deformation inflate to like 10
then morph target create diff, then select your new mesh and delete the inner shell and leave the ring around the open edges to create/fake thickness
http://i.imgur.com/n6NDI.jpg

Wow thank you so much for the very valuable info and taking the time to add your valuable input . It is really appreciated

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread