copy layers?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
copy layers?

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if it's possible to copy a layer from one sculpt and apply it to another sculpt.

To explain, I have a character head with a basic sculpt. I usually paint my surface detail (skin pours, fine wrinkles, etc) on separate layers and then hide them when I export my displacement. I then show the layers and export as a normal or bump map to use outside of my character's displacement.

I want to export this normal/bump map without my basic sculpt being included in the texture map. So In theory I would import my base level .obj and subdivide to the same number as my initial sculpt, then export to get a texture map with just surface detail.

I don't want to repaint my surface details, so is it possible to copy layers from my initial sculpt and apply them to my unsculpted subdivided mesh?

Thanks.

10 October 2012
You can't transfer layers but you could try to project the sculpted detail. Or if both meshes had similar UV's transfer in a map. Either way the results probably won't be great unless the underlying base meshes are very similar.

11 November 2012
Hey, thanks for the reply. The base meshes are identical and have the same uvs. Projecting the detail would include the base sculpt detail, would it not? Also using a map would include using a displacement map?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by jgibz: Hey, thanks for the reply. The base meshes are identical and have the same uvs. Projecting the detail would include the base sculpt detail, would it not? Also using a map would include using a displacement map?

you can use project all threw tool>subtool>project all
merge your high and low mesh as separate subtools and subD your low mesh a few times ,and make sure MRGB is on then project all

since The base meshes are identical and have the same uvs
you could instead load all the maps threw the texture pallet
then load the maps under tool like tool>displacement map
to get the fine detail back, subD your mesh a few times and Turn on displacement map>MODE
then adjust the intensity slider then once done APPLY >displacement map

you can all so load maps by tool>displacement map and select the big square box and at the bottom>import

Last edited by informerman : 11 November 2012 at 10:48 PM.

11 November 2012
Sorry it's been a while. I should clarify, I do not want to apply my sculpted details to the new mesh, just the surface detail painted on layers. I think I might just have to modify my workflow and start painting my surface details on a secondary mesh.

I'm guessing that even if I could copy a layer to another mesh that the surface detail would be slightly influenced by the base sculpt. In other words the detail would be too concentrated or spread out depending on the severity of surface direction in the base sculpt.

regardless, it seems preferable to have a smoother surface for generating maps containing surface details.

11 November 2012
be more pacific
are you painting a texture map
or polypainting?

are you wanting to convert polypaint to a texture?
OR
are you wanting to convert and apply polypaint from 1 mesh to another that has the same topology

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread