Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

Newbie questions!

I just started working with ZBrush (with Cinema 4D), and I've gone through some documentation found on the main website. And for the most part it seems I've missed out on some serious awesomeness. But there's lots of confusion still.

I sculpted two objects seperatly and sent them back to Cinema 4D, then I created a new C4D scene where both objects exist, and their Displacement and Normal maps are in a new texture folder. I also scaled them to fit each other. Now, when I hit GoZ to go to ZBrush with both of them, they have the same sculpt as before, except:

1. The texture maps I have assigned in C4D does not show up as assigned in ZBrush, but the sculpting seems to still be there, along with the level of subdivisions. Under Tools - Displacement Map, there's nothing selected, although this might just be the place where you create new Displacement maps? If so, where do you check what maps are currently assigned to it?

Also, when I hit GoZ again to bring them back to C4D, they get new materials, not the ones I had assigned to them in C4D earlier.

2. The displacement height/intensity is way off on one of the objects (probably because I scaled that object down a lot in C4D), how do I lower this??

3. Alt+Clicking on one of the objects seems to select one of them for sculpting, is there a way of selecting both at once so you can sculpt on both of them at the same time?

Really thankful for any help!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
hellspawned
Know-it-All
Tomas Landberg
Huddinge, Sweden

I can answer the first question. Kind of a newbie myself, so take this with a pinch of salt and differ to more experienced comments if they come along.

When you import a mesh into zbrush or export one out of zbrush for that matter, it loses its material, and thereby all the textures assigned to it. To my knowledge, Zbrush only handles raw mesh data (points, edges, faces, normals and UV coordinates), nothing more.

As you correctly guessed, the Displacement Map subsection is for generating a displacement map after your sculpt is done.

You can reassign the color texture by importing it (Go under Tool > Texture Map > New Texture > Click in the white square > Import) if it's necessary for your sculpting. Generally speaking, you'd do your texturing after finishing the mesh. I.e. you make a base mesh in C4D, export it to zbrush and finish your sculpting before even concerning yourself with textures.

When you export the model back into C4D, it won't have anything but a base shader assigned to it, because, as I mentioned earlier, Zbrush only handles raw mesh data. You're forced to redo your shading network at this point, or reuse the one you created before.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

Thanks for the info, that explains a lot! So, is there a way to lower the sculpted data (raw mesh data) height?

Cause if you scale down a zbrushed object inside C4D, and then GoZ it back into zbrush, the sculpted parts in the higher subdivisions will appear much greater/intensified. But scaling the object inside zbrush will keep the height of the sculpted data.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread