Zbrush 4- How much computer power?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Zbrush 4- How much computer power?

Hello

I have started playing with zbrush about 2 weeks ago. I have been following various tutorials online and in the beginning it was fine - then once I hit a total of 15 mil points in w/e project i'm doing, stuff starts to go down. Lag, crashes, 5 sec delay on clicking anything etc. Basically it looks like my computer is not handling it too well.

I would just blame it on the comp but i noticed that people in some of the tuts are working with much higher resolution models without such problems (and often those are videos released few years ago).

so here are my comp specs:

Dell, inspiron 560
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Ram: 6 GB
System type: 64bit
gfx card: NVIDIA GeForce 550 Ti

I have of course tried to change Memory allowance options in preferences but no results.
I have tried assigning separate cores to zbrush only, switching all programs while using zbrush etc, but the moment i hit around 15 milion points across all subtools - that's it.

I do try to lower subdiv leveles to minimum, or work in solo mode etc but again, unless I;m in solo mode (which helps abit) its terrible, god forbid I try to merge 2 subtools which have anything between 3-4 mil polys together and work on that.

Is there anything else I can do or should I toss the comp out of the window and think about getting a new one?

any help much appreciated!

Old 09 September 2012   #2
get more RAM. 12GB is really the minimum you should run for any 3D system.

ZBrush doesn't use the GPU so that's not your problem.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Wherever I look it say since Zbrush is still a 32 bit app, it only ever utilizes 4 gb of RAM (more ram just makes it easier to have few programs running at the same time).
Which makes me wonder if that is true- how do big studios manage to make those / and manage those awesome HD creations..
ugh wish I wasn't such a hardware newb

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Originally Posted by Milish: Wherever I look it say since Zbrush is still a 32 bit app, it only ever utilizes 4 gb of RAM (more ram just makes it easier to have few programs running at the same time).
Which makes me wonder if that is true- how do big studios manage to make those / and manage those awesome HD creations..
ugh wish I wasn't such a hardware newb

Yup you're right. You can have all the RAM that you can put into a machine and you're not going to get more than 4gb out of ZB and that's if you're running a 64bit OS. If you're running a 32bit OS then its more like 2.7-3.2GB of RAM you'll utilize.

It's just nice to have the big amounts of RAM like the other guy said for running other programs at the same time as ZB so nothing lags down. It's gonna be awesome when ZB does come out with a 64 version. If they could implement Vray in there as well they would rule the world lol.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
indeed, I am completely fascinated with zbrush. lot's of things I still don't get since i have absolutely no 3d modelling background , just traditional sculpture (no polys there D - but one that bothers me most of all is how do those guys in big studios end up with such refined models at such low poly count? Magic of retopology and projection? /mustwatchmoretutorials D:

Zbrush 5 64bit - yes that will be amazing, can't wait

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread