Subdivision levels lost during Subtool Merge! Help!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Subdivision levels lost during Subtool Merge! Help!

I am trying to merge subtools for a human character that I made. Each subtool has 6 subdivision levels, and usually when I Merge Down the subdivision levels are saved. For some reason, the subdivision levels are being lost and the highest subdivision level is the only available. What is going on here? Why would this be happening out of the blue? Could there be something strange going on with the mesh? I use this method for all of my characters and as long as each subtool has the same amount of subdivision levels when merging, the levels are saved..but not this time. Please help this is driving me nuts! Thanks.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
6 may be to high set them to all subd 5
but first if there all at 6 and you merge have you tried tool>geometry>Reconstruct subdiv
only works on all quads

Are you sure there all subd 6 because if you merge subd6 with subd1 then you wont get subd 6

when merging turn SOLO on, it may help, that way its rendering the active tool not all subtools

Last edited by informerman : 09 September 2012 at 12:04 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Thanks for the post. Yea they are all sub 6. I tried Reconstruct subdivision and it is not working either. I also tested merging the mesh using 5 subd levels and than didnt work either. I have merged with 6 subdivision levels with very similar characters several times for the project, so I don't think it is too high. If there anything else I can check? I can't figure out what is different about this mesh than the others.

Last edited by CGSculptor : 09 September 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
some times you can have mask on and its not visible, make sure there is no mask when merging,
and when you Reconstruct then look up on the upper left and it will say why it cant Reconstruct

Old 09 September 2012   #5
I didnt get it to work with Merge Down but I did find a workaround. I am using Insert Mesh instead of Merge Down, and adding the subtool that I saved into its own tool. (saved each subtool to its own tool) This is keeping the subd levels!! I even have it on 7 subd levels! Quick question, I want to use decimation master on one of the subtools to lower its 7th subd polygon count. This takes away the lower subdivision levels, which I need. Is there a way to use decimation master and then somehow get the subdivision levels back? I can't figure it out with remesh and also I would like a way that utilizes the lower subdivision levels as they are. If I could save out each subdivision level as a tool and somehow combine all the tools into one mesh with each tool being a subdivsion level?

Last edited by CGSculptor : 09 September 2012 at 04:55 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread