Hiding mesh while merging subtools?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Hiding mesh while merging subtools?

When I mask and hide part of my mesh and then combine a subtool, the masked mesh disappears permanently. For example, after I merge the tool, I hit either clear mask or ShowPt and nothing happens, masked area is still hidden.

Question: How can I mask and hide, merge a subtool and then the hidden area be recoverable? Is there another workaround for the system crashing when merging subtools? This only happens towards the last few subtools of a mesh. Mesh is 13.46 mil polys total.

I am trying to merge a mesh that has a bunch of different subtools, but it is high poly and Zbrush keeps crashing. I tried not having any subtools visible, including the subtool that is being merged into (not the main tool), and that works. But now I have a mesh that is all merged except for a few subtools, zbrush keeps crashing because of memory. I have memory compacted to the max of my system. I have 4gb ram total, mem is compacted to about 3500gb for zbrush.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
try it on the demo head that has 2 subtool and look on the top for active point count and total point count, when you combine them do the math, yes there gone,
next time merge with mask and no hiding and once merge there is no mask but if you hide point the mask is really still there.

if i recall right zbrush does not write to memory, it writes to Disk
so make sure you have plenty of Disk space
http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/Subtools

Quote: SubTools permit a single (logical) mesh to be treated as many independent objects. Like polygroups, they split a single model into several different components, but the emphasis on SubTools is allowing you to work with each component as if it were a separate mesh. SubTools increases the amount of polygons you can work with by allowing each SubTool to have as many polygons as your system can handle. For example, if your system can handle 8 million polygons for one SubTool you can have a model equal to 32 million polygons by having 4 SubTools of 8 million polygons each.

Last edited by informerman : 09 September 2012 at 12:31 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
I am confused, can you hide certain parts of the mesh while merging?

Old 09 September 2012   #4
its not stable to merge hidden in zbrush it will only cause you problems then or later on if your trying some thing else so dont do it

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread