Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
filmguy01
Veteran
portfolio
Film
Boston, USA

Displacement on corners and edges in zbrush

I'm having trouble with displacement in zbrush. I add textures to my model, go to export the displacement map, but zbrush doesn't seem like its exporting the maps correctly. It is displacing out the corners and in some cases the edges. Why is this the case? It doesn't look like that on the zbrush model, but when you render it out suddenly the corners pop out.

Anyone have any insight as to why that happens?
Please check the image below for reference.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Have you tried fading in a bit further from the edge in ZBrush, that is not going all the way to the edge? Also how is the focal shift set? You might want to adjust it up (+) to make the edges sit down, adjusting it to the - range makes the edges sit up higher.

Last edited by Dillster : 08-16-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
filmguy01
Veteran
portfolio
Film
Boston, USA

I don't think that's the problem though I'm not certain. I think it's a problem with the way zbrush displaces. For instance if I create a brand new sphere and then just export a displacement map for it it looks like this:

By my calculations the displacement map for a sphere with absolutely no geometry added should be a solid 50% gray color.

I don't even know what that image above is, but it certainly isn't what a displacement map without any displacement should look like,

Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

There are a lot of settings to choose from in Displacement Exporter. I wonder if it's the seamless setting needs turning on?

I just found a youtube video on exporting displacement maps to Maya which might help;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLMnRdeahg

I don't have time to sit watch it now (9 minutes long and I have to go out now), but at a quick glance it looks to cover a fair bit.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
filmguy01
Veteran
portfolio
Film
Boston, USA

I watched the video but I think the multi-displacement 3 exporter was removed from all releases after zbrush 4 and replaced with the regular displacement exporter (or the multimap exporter which has the same controls). Unfortunately most of the controls he goes over in the video don't exists in zbrush 4r4. Too bad.

Thanks for the link though!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread