Alphas pixelated

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Question Alphas pixelated

Why do my alphas come out pixelated on my model? My model has a divide count of 12 million and the alpha is a Grayscale, 16 bit, 512X512, PSD. I then created an example that is 1024X1024 thinking maybe it had to do something with the resolution of the image, no luck. Has anyone else run across an issue like this and if so how were you able to solve it?

Also I tried to add a little blur to my image and yes that reduces the pixelation a little but the alpha shouldn't have any pixelation.

04 April 2012
No matter how high you subdivide, if your level1 mesh has non-optimal sculpting topology then you will still see jaggies on multi-million meshes.

Subdivide a dynameshed tool or even a polysphere to 12 million and you will see what I mean. Perfect alpha stroke due to optimised sculpting topo.

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by Darkliquid: Why do my alphas come out pixelated on my model? My model has a divide count of 12 million and the alpha is a Grayscale, 16 bit, 512X512, PSD. I then created an example that is 1024X1024 thinking maybe it had to do something with the resolution of the image, no luck. Has anyone else run across an issue like this and if so how were you able to solve it?

Also I tried to add a little blur to my image and yes that reduces the pixelation a little but the alpha shouldn't have any pixelation.

in zbrush your trying to stretch 512X512 to 1024X1024 and its not possible and when you stretch it causes pixelated

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by informerman: in zbrush your trying to stretch 512X512 to 1024X1024 and its not possible and when you stretch it causes pixelated

I think OP originally used 512x512 and only after this created a 1k alpha thinking it would resolve the issue...

04 April 2012
musashidan is correct, I started with a 512, then went back into Ps and made it 1024 to see if that was the issue.

Quote: non-optimal sculpting topology

What would be considered as "non-optimal sculpting topology"? Would that be rectangles vs squares?

04 April 2012
Yes, particularly elongated or stretched faces. They will always retain a non-uniform spread of quads when sub-Ded.

07 July 2012
I beleive I am having a smiliar issue.

My mesh is divided 9 levels.

I have a pure black and white image.

If i paint the alpha to be bigger than the area I want it to be, the lines become very sharp.

If I paint the alpha to the exact size I want it on the area, all lines are pixelated and blury.

WHat is this all about? What are the easy ways of fixing this isue? Of course with out having the paint, undo because it wasnt properly alined, over and over again.

07 July 2012
Duplicate your 9 level poly subtool (let's say it has 5 million polys at level 9).

ON your duplicate, dynamesh it with a value of say 256 and then subdivide it back to 5 million polys and reproject the details.

Re-apply your alpha and see if it works as expected now.

07 July 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread