Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Impact
Veteran
portfolio
alireza fatahi
Esfahan, Iran

Model goes to low resolution while changing view

Hi

When I navigate through viewport and change my view to turn around my model,the model stay in low resolution until I release the mouse button,is it normal? because it is really annoying!

thanx

Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

its suppose to do that.
transform menu >quick( quick edit) turn it off if you dont want it to do that.
but its designed to do that to increase the performance

Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Impact
Veteran
portfolio
alireza fatahi
Esfahan, Iran

Thanx but it make no difference.When I try to orbit around my model(or any other change in viewport) the model become low res.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

never herd such of a problem.
show a video of whats happening

Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Champ-3D
portfolio
Gordon Champ
3D Artist
freelance
London, United Kingdom

Could it be your graphics card?

Does it pop back to the high res when you stop rotating ?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Impact
Veteran
portfolio
alireza fatahi
Esfahan, Iran

Thanx to all.

I find my answer in zbrushcentral. Actually in preferences menu there is a option called QTransThreshold that control this behavior and its for boosting performance on poor hardwares.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact
Thanx to all.

I find my answer in zbrushcentral. Actually in preferences menu there is a option called QTransThreshold that control this behavior and its for boosting performance on poor hardwares.

what you have is a bug?
first does your pc reach the requirement spec to install zbrush software?

what size screen resolution are you using?
if your using a large size over 1024 x 768 then try lowering it to 1024 x 768
IF you dont like doing that there is other performance tweeks like you said and some others in the preferences.

when your using a project file that came with zbrush the canvas size are larger then normal and may Lag your pc so be care full about large canvas size, they will bog you down faster.
scaling the object very large will slow you down all so.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
eblondin
--E--

portfolio
Eric Blondin
Lead Character Artist
USA

Send a message via AIM to eblondin
This is not a bug. This is how zbrush has worked since the beginning. Everyone's copy of zbrush does this.

If your PC can not handle the amount of polygons on your tool, zbrush will auto step down the sub d levels when you are rotating your model to speed things up.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblondin
This is not a bug. This is how zbrush has worked since the beginning. Everyone's copy of zbrush does this.

If your PC can not handle the amount of polygons on your tool, zbrush will auto step down the sub d levels when you are rotating your model to speed things up.

never herd such a thing for PC.
i maxed out my subdivision levels and deleted high/low subD and re subdivided it to max it out and it never step down a sub D level When rotating it

Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
eblondin
--E--

portfolio
Eric Blondin
Lead Character Artist
USA

Zbrush doesn't physically step down subdivision levels like you would manually do through tool > geometry pallete. It does it behind the scenes so to speak. It can be hard to tell that it is even doing it if there isn't a great deal of difference between your higher and lower sub d levels.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Zbrush doesn't physically step down subdivision levels like you would manually do through tool > geometry pallete. It does it behind the scenes so to speak. It can be hard to tell that it is even doing it if there isn't a great deal of difference between your higher and lower sub d levels.

if it does it behind the scene then why is he seeing it?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
eblondin
--E--

portfolio
Eric Blondin
Lead Character Artist
USA

When I said "behind the scenes" in my last post I mean that Zbrush does step down sub divisions levels but it doesn't do it through the geometry palette like one would manually do it, it does it automatically and the "tool > geometry > SDiv" slider does not update to reflect this. There is still a physical representation of the tool stepping down in subdivision levels on the canvas. This is why the above user is seeing it happening, it just is not reflected by the "tool > geometry > SDiv" slider.

Below is a video that represents this happening. Again this will differ on different peoples machines and can be hard to notice if there isn't a great deal of difference between higher and lower sub d levels (which is why I am zoomed in so far on the demo head). But everyone's copy of zbrush does this when you rotate around a tool that has (what Zbrush deems to be) too many polys.
http://screencast.com/t/uDH0wMep

Last edited by eblondin : 04-02-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Below is a video that represents this happening. Again this will differ on different peoples machines and can be hard to notice if there isn't a great deal of difference between higher and lower sub d levels

ok i see whats going on,(read my top post)
first its not switching between high and low sub d levels.

what your referring to is the transform menu on top>quick 3D edit, it displays the edges hard/facet or smooth and can speed up the response time but its not really changing the sub d levels, its only displaying it making it look like it is.

another thing if you have a low end machine dont zoom or it will slow you down
and dont use large document canvas size or things will start to lag you if the mesh is pretty high sub d to begin with.

may not show up so bad if you use a basic material instead of the default red wax that has a cavity map.

or if your still not happy and you have all quads and you have fairly high polys then delete the high/low sub D and reconstruct it when your done.

Display Options

Display options control various aspects of how objects are displayed onscreen.

{{Control|Quick 3D Edit|

When a 3D object is in Edit mode, it is shown in preview mode for faster interaction. When this is active, the model will not be subdivision-smoothed each time the mouse is released after an edit action.

Last edited by informerman : 04-03-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
eblondin
--E--

portfolio
Eric Blondin
Lead Character Artist
USA

Quote:
ok i see whats going on,(read my top post)
first its not switching between high and low sub d levels.

what your referring to is the transform menu on top>quick 3D edit, it displays the edges hard/facet or smooth and can speed up the response time but its not really changing the sub d levels, its only displaying it making it look like it is.

another thing if you have a low end machine dont zoom or it will slow you down
and dont use large document canvas size or things will start to lag you if the mesh is pretty high sub d to begin with.

may not show up so bad if you use a basic material instead of the default red wax that has a cavity map.

or if your still not happy and you have all quads and you have fairly high polys then delete the high/low sub D and reconstruct it when your done.

Display Options

{{Control|Quick 3D Edit|

When a 3D object is in Edit mode, it is shown in preview mode for faster interaction. When this is active, the model will not be subdivision-smoothed each time the mouse is released after an edit action.

You are incorrect again. This issue has nothing to do with the "Transform > Quick" Button.

Did you see me using that button in my video? I never touched it. Have you tried pressing or un-pressing that button on a tool like the demo head? Nothing really happens when you press it. There is slight "smoothing" on the edges if you want to even call it that and it's really only slightly noticeable on the lowest sub d level. It's nothing like what is going on in the video.

Here is another video showcasing the above issue.
http://screencast.com/t/odWAgPc1fzRo

"Impact" actually answered his/her own question early on in this thread when he/she stated that the auto stepping down of sub divisions was controlled by "Preferences > Performance > QTransThreshold" this is true. This slider controllers when and by how much Zbrush auto steps down. As you can see in the video above, the lower the number on this slider, the more Zbrush auto steps down in sub d levels when I rotate around my tool.

Here is the tool tip text from QTransThreshold. Basically more or less saying the same thing that I have been saying this entire time.

Last edited by eblondin : 04-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
You are incorrect again. This issue has nothing to do with the "Transform > Quick" Button.

"Impact" actually answered his/her own question early on in this thread when he/she stated that the auto stepping down of sub divisions was controlled by "Preferences > Performance > QTransThreshold" this is true. This slider controllers when and by how much Zbrush auto steps down. As you can see in the video above, the lower the number on this slider, the more Zbrush auto steps down in sub d levels when I rotate around my tool.

Here is the tool tip text from QTransThreshold. Basically more or less saying the same thing that I have been saying this entire time.

no im not incorrect when its hard to tell what your trying to do by spinning the model around and not being clear, try talking into a Mic.

if you want to see the quick edit work real good then try it on a primitive cylinder, and notice this a visual Display when you see changes and is not changing the actual geometry.

its not stepping down in subdivision levels on the canvas,
if you look at the text on your bottom image it says Display
this is not the same thing as stepping down in subdivision levels but it may appear it is.

Display Options

about the demo head and quick edit> it can speed up the response time,
try dragging it like your going to give it a good fast spin with the quick edit on then off and notcie the response time when things come back to normal.
set the demo head to sub d 6

Last edited by informerman : 04-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Thread Closed share thread