Separate Material IDs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2017
Separate Material IDs

So in 3DSMax, you can highlight separate areas of a mesh and assign a different material ID to them, so that in Unreal, I can color them differently. In ZBrush, I imported a cylinder that I want to use as a floor. I sculpted some designs into one of the large round faces (the floor section), and I want to assign what I sculpted a different material ID so that I can make them a different material in Unreal, sort of a reflective gold, while the rest is white. Is there a way to set this up in ZBrush? Thanks!

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by ethandale: So in 3DSMax, you can highlight separate areas of a mesh and assign a different material ID to them, so that in Unreal, I can color them differently. In ZBrush, I imported a cylinder that I want to use as a floor. I sculpted some designs into one of the large round faces (the floor section), and I want to assign what I sculpted a different material ID so that I can make them a different material in Unreal, sort of a reflective gold, while the rest is white. Is there a way to set this up in ZBrush? Thanks!
select any brush, turn off sculpting buttons (zadd zsub) and turn on M filter, then paint the desired areas.
For cleener result i'd sugest to mask the desired areas first and edgeloop them ("edgeloop masked border" in tools>geometry>edgeloop), then isolate them (ctrl+shift+click) and fill (fillobject button in color menu)

10 October 2017
zplugin>projection master
make sure material/color is checked, there is other option all so

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by Rin-Kin: select any brush, turn off sculpting buttons (zadd zsub) and turn on M filter, then paint the desired areas.
For cleener result i'd sugest to mask the desired areas first and edgeloop them ("edgeloop masked border" in tools>geometry>edgeloop), then isolate them (ctrl+shift+click) and fill (fillobject button in color menu)
So painting an object a different color in ZBrush assigns a separate material ID for when I bring it into Unreal Engine 4? I don't really want the object to retain any color from ZBrush. Only the separate materials.

10 October 2017

i dont use unreal engine but you can try this,
if you dont want color just make sure (M) material if on, its on the top middle of the UI next to rgb mrgb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CrOCQZB58

Last edited by informerman : 10 October 2017 at 02:13 AM.

reply share thread