Painter Wishlist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by Hawksmoor: Looking back on the package since my last post and that I’m more familiar with it my “What I’d like to see in Painter 9” is:

<snip>

The ability to rotate paper textures – Papers in Painter are great – but I’d like a tool – similar to the rotational one in the gradient box – that allows me to decide which angle I want to paint on bricks, cracks and so forth

Fixed Targas – the Targa format is broken – and at present unable to properly save out alpha maps. Given I work in games this is a pretty bad oversight – painter is better at PS at creating textures – thanks to its excellent tiling abilities – but Targas don’t save their alpha channel info – which is bad – as most games companies use them as the default texture format. This ones always struck me as an odd flaw - as Photoshop 7 came out with exactly the same problem - and within a week Adobe had fixed the problem witha 50 k download.....

<snip>

Oh – and lastly it would be handy to have the ability to dock more of the brush creator to the upper tool bar - so we could adjust the brushes on the fly without having to hit ctrl - B

Still - BRILLIANT package - and wonderful to use...

Hawksmoor: I totally agree with you about the Targa issue. I use Hash Animation:Master, and Targas are the best-supported image format in that app. For me, alpha channel support in Targas is a must-have, especially when using clip maps.

Also agree with you about rotating textures. I think I requested that on an earlier Corel survey for Painter, but it didn't make it in.

I don't really like the new Brush Creator - I preferred the old brushes palettes from Painter 4 and 5. You could adjust brush characteristics on the fly, rather than having to open up the Brush Creator, which just seems to interrupt my workflow.

A couple of suggestions of my own:

1. Something akin to "Add Noise" like in Photoshop. This is a real boon when creating wood textures or the irises of eyes when combined with a motion blur. It also helps to add graininess and color variation to skin maps.

2. Grayscale support - This would be especially helpful for creating various types of maps (bump, specularity, etc.) You can create a pseudo-grayscale map by using desaturation, but the file is still RGB and thus the file size is larger.

07 July 2004
1.Flexible opacity like photoshop !!! (painter opacity slider sux, mean no changes when slider more then 20%)

2. Preferences ....interface color change like painter 7

07 July 2004
I haven't read this whole thread and this may have been mentioned, but here is my wish to end all wishes for a future Painter incarnation:

Make it an option to define a selection on the canvas and be able to modulate color hue and value directly from the color wheel. In other words, when you move the cursor around the color wheel and within the value triangle, you immediately see the changes to the color inside the microscopic little preview square next to the color wheel. Make it possible to have those immediate, real time changes appear within a defined selection of the canvas without having to use paint bucket, so the the changes are smooth and continuous but appear on the canvas in the context that they will appear in the finished work. This would be an almost immeasurably valuable tool in establishing and fine tuning color harmony within the piece because it would almost inifintely speed up the process of trial and error in selecting colors and values.

Dave

07 July 2004
Originally Posted by Dave Perry: I haven't read this whole thread and this may have been mentioned, but here is my wish to end all wishes for a future Painter incarnation:

Make it an option to define a selection on the canvas and be able to modulate color hue and value directly from the color wheel. In other words, when you move the cursor around the color wheel and within the value triangle, you immediately see the changes to the color inside the microscopic little preview square next to the color wheel. Make it possible to have those immediate, real time changes appear within a defined selection of the canvas without having to use paint bucket, so the the changes are smooth and continuous but appear on the canvas in the context that they will appear in the finished work. This would be an almost immeasurably valuable tool in establishing and fine tuning color harmony within the piece because it would almost inifintely speed up the process of trial and error in selecting colors and values.

Dave
We're already most of the way there and have been for several, if not all Pianter versions.

Don't use the Paint Bucket tool!

Instead, make your selection and use Ctrl/Command+F to open the Fill dialog, make sure Current Color is checked, then begin moving the Hue Ring and Saturation Triangle circles around to get the color you want. In the Fill Preview window, you can click and drag to view the edges of your selection and see how the color works with other colors. Click the OK button when you're happy with the color.

It would be nice if we could see the color change dynamically in the actual image, so that's all that's missing (if I understand what you're asking for).

Something else you can do is to use the Mixer palette or mix on another Canvas to get some nice colors going so you can see in advance how they work together, then use Ctrl/Command+F, click the Mixer palette Dropper tool and slide it over the mixed paint 'til you see what in the Preview window.

Don't forget that, using either of these methods, while you're still in the Fill dialog box, you can also adjust Opacity and see that change in the Preview window.

If you're doing your selection color filling on a Layer, you have even more control with the Layer Opacity slider and Composite Methods options.

The Paint Bucket tool is fine if all you want to do is PLOP! a certain color down. It's not so good for controlling color fills, though.

Last edited by Jinbrown : 07 July 2004 at 05:06 AM.

07 July 2004
Oh, yeah, one more thing... I wish Painter for Windows didn't have the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons reversed. I don't know how many times I've hit the wrong button!

04 April 2005
editable custom palettes

The custom palettes really bug me some times . It would be nice if you could edit the contents of a palette instead of having to delete it and start all over again. If you make a mistake and put a brush in that you really didn't want in....well...too bad...it's stuck in there. It would be nice too, if you could move the brushes around within the palette and, as mentioned by someone else, be able to name them instaed of having to wait for a help balloon to pop up. Also...what's up with the auto custom palette numbering? DOH! not too smart....LOL...but, as you can rename them....that's neither here nor there.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by ajsa51: The custom palettes really bug me some times . It would be nice if you could edit the contents of a palette instead of having to delete it and start all over again. If you make a mistake and put a brush in that you really didn't want in....well...too bad...it's stuck in there. It would be nice too, if you could move the brushes around within the palette .

You can do this already-to remove a brush hold shift then drag it out of the palette, to move the contents of a palette about, again hold shift then drag.

-Steve

04 April 2005
Awesome! thanks for the tip on custom palettes Steve.

04 April 2005
Don't know if it's been mentioned. I'd like to see dual monitor support for the PC version. The workaround does work but it's kinda annoying.

05 May 2005
After messing with Studio Paint version 12 I would like to see painter impliment a way easily create mask just like Studio Paint 12

Studio Paint 12 has this option where lets say you want to build seperate curves (or in painter case paths) , each of which would be on the respective sides of any object you want to mask.
Studio Paint has a way for you to you to select the seperate curves or paths to create mask in the closed in area, and all of this would be done by just having the curves intersect each other due to a slight overbuild which in turns creates a boxed in space which wold become the mask.

If there is a way to do this can someone please tell me

09 September 2005
I wish that Painter XI had the adjustable color palette layout from painter 7

09 September 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread