Painter X has Arrived!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2007
Painter X crashes on using any selection tool [update]

Just to update you guys, it only crashes when I'm using any of the selection tools if I am in full screen mode ie Cmd M on the mac

02 February 2007
I'll try to put this in an analogy so you can understand. Whether you buy or do not buy a guitar it doesn't really matter, because unless it's a real stinker other people are going to, be it because it's their first guitar and they don't know any better or maybe because they're just idiosyncratic themselves. Now here's the thing, unless someone tells your friendly luthier that his brilliant idea this year was a dud, there's a good chance he'll never know, and he'll never change this feature until he's told.

The thing is your analogy breaks down because like it or not buggy and badly designed software does not get fixed in older versions. A luthier may go so far as to rebuild your guitar for you from the ground up regardless of age or revision, that is not ever going to happen with software, the ugrade to version 10 is the bugfix for version 9.5, there will be no 9.5x version, what's more the longer you leave between upgrades the more it will cost you.

So, if you've got any version at all, the only way to have any bug of poorly designed feature fixed is to upgrade to the latest version, and if that version introduces more bugs and bad design features then you hope to get support and that the company will listen to it's customers and release a fix for those problems. If they don't then over time it becomes necesary to start finding and using alternatives because once again unlike guitars computer equipment and software doesn't get better with age (come to that guitars generally don't get better with age either, but a lot of old folk like to think they do), sooner or later you will have to upgrade.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by BillyBrusher: Just to update you guys, it only crashes when I'm using any of the selection tools if I am in full screen mode ie Cmd M on the mac

Can't confirm here I'm afraid, might be a mac only thing.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: I'll try to put this in an analogy so you can understand. Whether you buy or do not buy a guitar it doesn't really matter, because unless it's a real stinker other people are going to, be it because it's their first guitar and they don't know any better or maybe because they're just idiosyncratic themselves. Now here's the thing, unless someone tells your friendly luthier that his brilliant idea this year was a dud, there's a good chance he'll never know, and he'll never change this feature until he's told.

The thing is your analogy breaks down because like it or not buggy and badly designed software does not get fixed in older versions. A luthier may go so far as to rebuild your guitar for you from the ground up regardless of age or revision, that is not ever going to happen with software, the ugrade to version 10 is the bugfix for version 9.5, there will be no 9.5x version, what's more the longer you leave between upgrades the more it will cost you.

thanks for takin the trouble to explain in detail, but I did indeed previously not get the fact that you are a customer of the product we are talking about so that in itself made the analogy not fit your case (I publically repented in my last post... Don't have me repeat my contrition... )

Quote: [...]if that version introduces more bugs and bad design features then you hope to get support and that the company will listen to it's customers and release a fix for those problems. If they don't then over time it becomes necesary to start finding and using alternatives because once again unlike guitars computer equipment and software doesn't get better with age [/

totally agreed upon the support thing for a product you already have.

I am not too sure about the thing that you want version X to fix version IX.
I tested many painting applications, some free, some commercial and I concluded that Painter IX was the one I wanted. And as I had that thoroughly tested, too (within my 30 days span) I naturally stumbled upon things I was missing there, too. And I read a lot about people losing files with unstable versions.

But I made my decision and I was putting my money on the table, without secretly hoping that support would change the product I was about to buy to something it wasn't.

Maybe I just hadn't as many stability problems as other people (seems I am just plain lucky), so I am not too excited over the whole bugfix thing.

But as I said in my last post: Pray continue! I did get your posts wrong. And like I said about my experience with the Painter team I am actually pretty confident that your concerns will be heeded.

All the best.
Mu

02 February 2007
Well, for one thing I was hoping for fixes with the occasional crashing on save to RIFF format. It seems they've fixed this, it now crashes well before you save.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Well, for one thing I was hoping for fixes with the occasional crashing on save to RIFF format. It seems they've fixed this, it now crashes well before you save.

lol- i like the way you worded that. is there any way we can make suggestions directly to corel for progam improvment? (besides the send error)

Last edited by rattsang : 02 February 2007 at 10:47 AM.

02 February 2007
I suspect those of us who use the product professionally are totally let down with the upgrade while those who like to mess about and turn their baby snaps into Mona Lisas are quite happy...
Maybe thats where Corel have got it right .. there are less professionals using it. So they are aiming at the casual user who just wants to impress their friends. Ive actually noticed alot of people moving over to Photoshop to do illustration work. Probably for this reason.

I noticed John has started a thread on Painter tips .. God save us if he puts one up for turn your happy snap into a painting plug in..

Last edited by brenly : 02 February 2007 at 11:19 AM.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Philippec: If Painter 8 does what you need, then by all means keep using it.

However, I hope you are not passing judgment solely based on what you read online. As you probably know, you can try Painter X free of charge, for 30 days, by downloading it from the Corel website.

Since you skipped Painter IX, I think you're in for a pleasant surprise.

Hello Philippec! I own the trial version since yesterday morning, I've tested it for about 6 hours, a lot of new things to me in this version but nothing special to make me move form 8.This is just me, for others it may be a good tool. I have to admit that i really liked the new enhanced brush ghost which shows in real time the pen angle and the new real bristle brushes, this is a step forward but without the 6D art pen they are really hard to get used to as mentioned before in this thread.

Anyway, i'll continue testing it.

*i don't want painter to mimic photoshop, the philosophy of painter is much deferent and this is obvious, but i want painter to be stable!! and reliable as photoshop.

Have a nice and bright day, all of you artists!!

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by BillyBrusher: Just to update you guys, it only crashes when I'm using any of the selection tools if I am in full screen mode ie Cmd M on the mac

I can't reproduce it (fullscreen mode with all selection tools). I am on mac pro too.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Now, I dare you to tell me that this function is usable without a 6D art pen, if you can claim that with a straight face, then chances are you've not tried it for any length of time.

It absolutely is usable without a 6D pen. You just don't get the nib rotation that you can get with that pen.

The big advantage of that rotation is that it changes continuously. You can't do that with a slider in the UI.

Originally Posted by Per-Anders: A unique idea would have been to implement the tool inline with the existing work flow paradigms within the application thus leaving it open to users of both the 6D pen and users of existing tablets and tools to tailer to their own choice and even create more interesting brush concepts with.

It may be an oversight on Corel's part to not have hooked up the "Angle" slider to the RealBristle rotation, or it could simply be that this hookup was deemed unnecessary, because it does not change in real-time.

If you would like such a hook-up (which I think would only be useful with a flat brush), then email your suggestion to rick.champagne@corel.com.

But if you do get a 6D Art pen (as a lot of people have done when Painter IX came out with 6D support), you will find that there is more than RealBristle to this technology. Calligraphy pens are awesome with this pen.

02 February 2007
I'm a big fan of Corel Painter software, but I must agree this update seems kind of lackluster.

The 6D pen only works with the Intuos 3 and one of the Cintiq models, huh? I'm kind of bumming with my Intuos 2, which I never thought would happen until the day of its death. The Real Bristle brushes are pretty nifty, but I think they could have been integrated a bit better with the old pen, especially the flat brushes.

The new brush ghosting is really nice. It's also good to hear the efficiency and speed of the program has been increased, but then again I never really had issues with the last couple versions and by no means do I have a super-computer. I'll fiddle around with the trial a bit, but I have a feeling I'll either wait for a great sale or the next version.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Philippec: It's faster.

is it indeed? is have noticed that the system requirements have been raised, which for me (sw design layman) would indicate otherwise...

02 February 2007
I was thinking Yay...maybe I'll buy it. I downloaded the online trial version onto my MacBook Pro. Ran it on my Cintiq ... at 600 dpi, the brushes we're excrutiatingly slow. Then it crashed..Then it said somehow the application was damaged and then it wouldn't run saying the 30 day trial period was over. I think I had about 10 min. Obviously, I'm not impressed.

02 February 2007
Speed

Originally Posted by Taltos: is it indeed? is have noticed that the system requirements have been raised, which for me (sw design layman) would indicate otherwise...

Overall? Yes. Of course, it is much faster on Intel Macs by virtue of being native instead of emulated (>300%). On PowerPC, about the same (couple of percent faster). On Windows, it was also faster (I don't have the exact numbers with me).

This is an average of all the brushes in our speed test, which is similar to the brush set of Painter IX so it has Artists' Oils, Watercolor, etc.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Ok allow me to be explicit as it seems clearly my last post was too obscure: I bought Painter X, I own it, I purchased it, a license of Painter X I have, it is something that is in my posession...

My treeeeeeaaaassssssure

Sorry Per, I couldn't help it. No offense intended...
http://tayetefantasy.blogspot.com

Thread Closed share thread