Painter X has Arrived!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Modifying the "Angle" setting slider in the brush settings Under "Angle" doesn't update the actual value in the numeric input.

Hi,

It does that for me, too. My solution, until Corel provides one is to either:

• Type the Angle degree number then click in a blank area of the Angle palette, outside the number field, or
  • Move the Angle slider, then click in a blank area of the Angle palette, outside the number field.
Using either method updates the Angle degree number field.

Quote: Accessing anything in the "Help" menu = instaboom.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for this one yet.

Last edited by Jinbrown : 02 February 2007 at 07:48 AM.

02 February 2007
Yup it seems the angle for "RealBristle" brushes is uncontrollable currently. Is this setting designed to only work with the "Artpen" perhaps? (did no-one test it with a normal tablet pen?). Even when dragging horizontally (which is it's default "flat" angle it seems) it starts out twisted and unds up rotating out to it's flat angle if your tilt is too great.

Shame as otherwise i could see that this would make for a pretty interesting brush variant, especially if it had some more grainy loading control, integration with the artists oils effects and perhaps per brustle drying out (or handling of the effect of more dry brushing effects and a something akin to the classic graphic paintbrush before the brushing engine changed and stopped that from working properly).

02 February 2007
Ok to solve the mystery of the twisting bristles, it's actually related to bearing after all in a strange way, it seems it's been set up totally for either a right handed person (which I am not) or is instrinsically linked to the angle of the brush (which is apparently semi-fixed in place unless apparently you use an art pen), if you angle your pen towards the right and pain accross you get flat strokes with no twists. The twisting is coming from the simulation simply trying to be accurate (and that's fine, if only there were a way to actually control the brush angle without having to buy or use the artpen), so it's not a bug as such.

02 February 2007
Ok, perhaps this is linked to the nonresponsive RealBristles, but it seems that none of the brush previews rotation/angles show any relation to the actual rotation during painting, even on such simple things as the felt pens, the brush preview stays solidly horizontal throughout the stroke regardless of how the angle expression is set, this makes it seem rather confusing to use.

Either no-one tested with a non artpen, or Painter is totally geared towards/locked into the artpen thing (which given the fact that the artpen isn't even standard with wacom tablets seems a bit, uh, unfair shall we say).

Does anyone know if Corel added a flat opacity method yet as opposed to it's flow method? Something like photoshops handling of brush opacity rather than painters constant build-up which will eventually reach 100% solid regardless of the opacity setting (which really should be renamed "flow").

02 February 2007
Memory

Originally Posted by brenly: actually I did a quick test to see if this is true and found that Painter X is more memory hungry. The task manager showed that for the same pictures X used atleast 10% more memory ..

1. Don't believe everything the Task Manager tells you. It's not very precise.

2. I was writing about space on disk, not RAM footprint. New Painter features (like RealBristle) require more RAM, of course. But nothing significant.

And the startup times are now much faster...

02 February 2007
The full range of the RealBristle brushes is realized only with the 6D Pen.

While that may leave current ArtPen holders feeling left out, the future of expressive media emulation lies in technology that polls all six dimensions of the artist's hand motion. The RealMedia brushes take advantage of this.

It is an option you'll need to consider if you want all of your hand's input transmitted to Painter.

-john

Pixels—it's all in how you arrange them.

Last edited by pixlart : 02 February 2007 at 06:47 PM.

02 February 2007
why did they do such a poor job with the upgrade?

its like they added some ok stuff...compositional aid looks interesting....but they forget to fortify certain keypoints of the package...its like corel fell into the plugin this in plug that in...paradigm....

although the new workspace stuff is cool....what gives with the gimickey photo-->painting tool? waste of development bucks...not because of whether it is cool or not...but because that development labor should have gone to make many parts of the program deeper...or easier to access.

too many times people put too much weight on the new feature thing...and not improve the features we already have.

just look at the user wishlists and its all there....

but we get the upgrade anyway so hey...I hope I am wrong!

02 February 2007
Quote: what gives with the gimickey photo-->painting tool? waste of development bucks...not because of whether it is cool or not...but because that development labor should have gone to make many parts of the program deeper...or easier to access.

Painter addresses multiple target markets. While intelligently applied photo-painting may not appeal to you, it doesn't mean that is a worthless feature to others—the photography market, for example.

Smart Stroke technology helps to open the door for the drawing-challenged, but does not create "automatic" art. Basically, it can be used as a tool to provide the starting point for creating unique self-styled art.

Many photogs feel that they are lacking in drawing skills and intimidated by applications like Painter. Smart Strokes can help to overcome this and enable them to find a stylistic partner for their images through organized experimentation.

Smart Strokes will never match the facile touch of many artists on this forum—human touch and emotion are not yet software plugins.

-john

Pixels—it's all in how you arrange them.

02 February 2007
aadams you're completely right.

There is a ton of little things that should have been fixed, they are obvious (example the tiny preview with filters). I think that is the weak point of Painter, will it drag all those usability holes, from versions to versions?

Well, at least it's compatible with intel macs and vista...

02 February 2007
isn't that what painter essentials is for john?

in all fairness you can't say this release isn't a bit of a let down especially considering the potential of painter and all the great ideas and feedback listed on the wishlist. and whats with the can?? im sorry but its a gimic and it insult the intelligence of the consumer. im not having a go at anyone, i just don't feel this is a quality product. and from the fourms it looks like im not the only one.

and on the note of painter for photographers, painter isn't viable as a photo editing package anyway- there are few (and awkward) filters, no colour modes, no rbg channels -i mean compared to photoshop- i'd never touch a photo with painter. now painter is in some kind of limbo between a unstable painting package full of basic bugs (ever try using the line tool- crashes after a few lines every time) that are ignored and a tacky half hearted attempt at a photo editing package. where even if it is used for the "photo manipulation painting" will still be heavily reliant on photoshop for all other aspects of editing.

Last edited by rattsang : 02 February 2007 at 10:48 PM.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by Per-Anders: Does anyone know if Corel added a flat opacity method yet as opposed to it's flow method? Something like photoshops handling of brush opacity rather than painters constant build-up which will eventually reach 100% solid regardless of the opacity setting (which really should be renamed "flow").

I'd like to know that, too

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by pixlart: The full range of the RealBristle brushes is realized only with the 6D Pen.

While that may leave current ArtPen holders feeling left out, the future of expressive media emulation lies in technology that polls all six dimensions of the artist's hand motion. The RealMedia brushes take advantage of this.

It is an option you'll need to consider if you want all of your hand's input transmitted to Painter.

-john

Nice marketing pitch for the 6D... but sorry, that's drivel.

Sorry, look I know a lot of work goes into any software release, but this really sounds like a snub to me, as a user I don't find that very acceptable. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see any bare minimum requirements of a Wacom Intuous 3 line tablet or Cintiq 21/18ux with a 6D Pen, as it is I feel this is tantamount to bait & switch.

I also think this shows a lack of proper software development, design and testing or a complete kowtowing to an external vendor. Anything could have been used to control the angle, it's not as if the angle palette isn't already extant.

Right now the way things are, this makes the upgrade paltry to say the least and a slap in the face to many existing users. This is not something I can currently recommend to any colleagues.

I would ask the Corel reconsider it's line on this and instead allow some actual control to be in the hands of the users, it would only allow for more flexibility and power after all, it is only one setting that changes a tool from being unusable to potentially having a substantial value. I would also recommend listening to all those matte painters and other artists asking for correct brush opacity controls, again this is maybe not something that will figure greatly in marketing, or even make it as a new feature check box, but it is important to many.

Last edited by Per-Anders : 02 February 2007 at 10:09 PM.

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by pixlart: Painter addresses multiple target markets. While intelligently applied photo-painting may not appeal to you, it doesn't mean that is a worthless feature to others—the photography market, for example.
-john

We understand that but from what Ive seen of the upgrade I cant see any advice taken from requests at this forum. The brush management tool is great ... thats it??? It seems as though all the very few improvement decisions were based on marketing aimed at the lowest common denomina. I cant even force myself to buy the upgrade.

intelligently applied photo-painting = gimmick plug in

02 February 2007
I'm definitely disappointed with this ''upgrade'', nothing for my taste here, nothing exiting to scream about or any real! improvements in general. I'll be waiting for version 11 or 12, till then I'll stick with painter8.1

Why don't you just downgrade it to painter classic? (just kidding)

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by rattsang: isn't that what painter essentials is for john?

Ha! When Painter Essentials 3 was released, there was an outcry from the Painter community: "But why can't we do this [autopaint] in the full Painter version? Corel should be ashamed of making me buy two versions [Essentials and Full] to get the full range of the product!"

This led to Painter IX.5.

Originally Posted by rattsang: and on the note of painter for photographers, painter isn't viable as a photo editing package anyway

Please. Maybe for you, but there are quite a few people who make a very good living turning photos into paintings.

There is a target market for each release. Corel tries to leave no one behind (i.e. not remove functionality that was already there), but they explore new markets that you don't seem to be a part of. Sorry for you, but no one's forcing you to upgrade.

Thread Closed share thread