Corel Painter IX.5 Announced!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
Thumbs up i finally got it working

im such a dumbass. read the instructions first. once uve installed the update. then when u launch painter, hold the shift key. and select yes to put it to factory settings. then everything will work fine. i feel much better now

03 March 2006
It seems that the mac update is currently unavailable… I get "file not found".

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by heythatreallyhurts: I can't run the installer file at all. I get an error message that says "Please make sure it is a valid Windows installer file." (I am running Windows, of course. XP with SP2.)

Same here...

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by davidness: once uve installed the update. then when u launch painter, hold the shift key. and select yes to put it to factory settings. then everything will work fine. i feel much better now

I did just that, but I didn't see any dialog in which I could select "yes".

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Art2: I did just that, but I didn't see any dialog in which I could select "yes".

I had to do it twice, make sure you're holding shift before you even click the icon. You should definitely get a dialog.

03 March 2006
The Corel site says, "Please note: the Corel Painter IX.5 update is temporarily unavailable."

Maybe they're doing some further testing?

03 March 2006
Thanks Cometsoft!

Pity that all custom settings are being deleted...

03 March 2006
Hi folks,

I can only guess this is related to the problems some of you are having, but in any case here's something you might want to know.

Read the top paragraph on this page to see that, as of this date (March 1, 2006) the Painter IX.5 download is temporarily unavailable:

Corel Painter IX.5 Update - Windows

On the Mac download page, there isn't a similar notice so until we hear otherwise, I guess we can assume that it is available.

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Jinbrown: ...I can only guess this is related to the problems some of you are having...

If that's the case, you Corel guys really listen to us, users

I've noticed another small problem.
When I use camelhair brush (size small, resat 0, bleed 1) to blend colours on my zoomed in image, I see artifacts popping up along my stroke. When I zoom in or out, the artifacts disappear and I can see my applied stroke. I never saw this before, so I guess it has to do something with the update.

03 March 2006
Quote: I've noticed another small problem. When I use camelhair brush (size small, resat 0, bleed 1) to blend colours on my zoomed in image, I see artifacts popping up along my stroke. When I zoom in or out, the artifacts disappear and I can see my applied stroke. I never saw this before, so I guess it has to do something with the update.

Hi Art2:

I'n not sure this related to—or will solve—your problem: Have you enabled draw zoomed out views using area averaging (Preferences > General)?

This may eliminate the artifacts you are describing.

Viva la Painter!

Pixels—it's all in how you arrange them.

03 March 2006
Painter IX.5 update issues

With the release of the update for Painter IX, once it got into the wild, we had a couple of issues arise, which we think are detrimental to folks using the product. So we have temporarily pulled the update for windows off of our site.

We are hoping to have the issues resolved shortly, and get the update back up on the site.

But a couple of things to take note of when installing the update.

Before installing the update, it is recommended that you back-up all of your custom brushes / palettes / materials from your user folder.

Once you have installed the update hold the shift key when starting Painter IX the first time after updating, and select 'yes' in the dialog to rebuild the workspace and reset it to the new factory defaults. There are new tools and palettes available in Painter IX.5, so this reset of the workspace will make them available.

Once you have reset the workspace, you can bring your customized elements back into Painter.

I hope this helps, and if you have further questions, please either reply here or directly to me (steve.szoczei@corel.com).

I will follow-up with a post to state when the new update is available on our site.

thanks

cheers

steve
steve.szoczei@corel.com

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by steve_szoczei: With the release of the update for Painter IX, once it got into the wild, we had a couple of issues arise, which we think are detrimental to folks using the product.

Thanks Steve for the update, I was going to ask this question but luckily read this entire post first. I think I will give pix one more chance after the new update is fixed, it has by far the best brush engine out there, but that's about all until the stability is fixed. I guess I missed the first released 9.5 patch, will wait for the next 9.5(a?). Will this one be like the 9.1 patch where there were more than one version with the same name floating around out there?

Come on guys, it's been well over a year, I would really like to be able to use this program.

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by pixlart: I'n not sure this related to—or will solve—your problem: Have you enabled draw zoomed out views using area averaging (Preferences > General)?

This may eliminate the artifacts you are describing.

Looks like it solved the problem, thank you!
I will give it a thorough testrun later and I'll let you know when I still experience the problem.

03 March 2006
Painter IX.5 update

The new update for Windows is now available from the Corel Painter site at:
http://www.corel.com/painterix/home/index.html
steve.szoczei@corel.com

03 March 2006
is there any info on this site regarding what has changed from ix.5"a" to ix.5"b"? or what users should do who have already installed the "old" patch ix.5 (like me)....

i didn't find any, but maybe i'm just blind...

Thread Closed share thread