New Patch for Painter 9 out

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Also been having problems, but i'am downloading now.... all seems OK at the moment

Last edited by Debs : 07 July 2005 at 10:00 PM.

07 July 2005
Quote: 9. Enhanced Brush Resize Functionality
When using CMD-Opt/CTRL-ALT to resize brushes, you no longer have to click once before painting.

I am SO pleased about this. Many thanks Corel! Even though the [ and ] keys are available, the fastest way to resize brush is the Ctrl-Alt function. Somewhere along the line, a "click once before painting" thing crept in and it really broke up the workflow. It was one of the things that stopped me upgrading from 6.1

Painter XI just got added to the online store basket. Thanks Corel!

07 July 2005
Welcome, John Derry! (pixlart)

Hi John!

What great news to hear you'll be active in the forums. Makes me think of the old days.

It's extra great, for us, that you'll be open to receiving e-mails and I hope Painter users will make it as easy for you as possible when they write to you, with clear, concise information and enough detail to make sense of whatever it is they're writing about.

Guys and gals, John Derry is a terrific guy. He was one of the three original Painter developers and has remained involved all this time, helping Corel to continue making "his baby" (and ours!) an increasingly wonderful program, that began with the genius, talent, imagination, and all 'round enthusiasm of those three developers, Mark Zimmer, John Derry, and Tom Hedges. For this, I owe them, and Corel, my heartfelt thanks as Painter has been my love for a decade now and has never for a moment left me bored or uninspired. It's amazing how it continues to inspire and continues to surprise me with hidden secrets just waiting to be discovered.

Treat this great guy with generosity, respect, and appreciation. He's earned it with his own generosity and talents as you'll soon learn!

If you don't know much about John Derry, you'll find out by reading the Corel Painter IX website at:

http://www.corel.com/painterix

And the Corel Painter IX newsletter, The Painter Canvas.

Previous issues October 1004 through April 2005:

http://www.corel.com/painterix/comm...newsletter.html

May 2005 issue:

http://www.corel.com/painterix/comm...5-05/index.html

June 2005 issue:

http://www.corel.com/painterix/comm...5-06/index.html

Again, welcome to the forums John, and thanks for always being around, from the beginning.

Most sincerely,

Last edited by Jinbrown : 07 July 2005 at 12:56 AM.

07 July 2005
John - What a wonderful surprise! It's awesome to know that you'll be keeping an eye on us. The 9.1 patch is great--fixes some of the most urgent problems. I'm sure there are other fixes you guys are working on that didn't make it into the 9.1 patch, and I'm looking forward to the next fix.

07 July 2005
Hi Folks,

Glad to see the news hit so fast! Thanks to many of you, the Painter IX 9.1 Update includes some great enhancements and stability improvements. Special thanks to those of you who contacted me directly and sent in your files to help the team track down these issues.
Painter just keeps getting better! Anyhow, it's time for me to fade back into the shadow, but as always, I'll still be "around".
green_leaf, we're already looking into the brush cursor thing...

Best regards,

Rick Champagne
Program Manager, Corel Painter
Corel Corporation
rick.champagne@corel.com

07 July 2005
Wow, thanks for listing!
Thanks John, Rick for a great app.

07 July 2005
is the update worth it? or should i just kept my painter IX?

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by hermine: is the update worth it? or should i just kept my painter IX?

I'm diving into 9.1 for the fact that it can't possibly be worse than 9 for me. I already payed $200 for 9 upgrade months ago, and I'm sick of feeling like an Alpha tester for it, so now at least I can feel like a Beta tester with 9.1.

BTW, God's honest truth: I'd gladly pay $200 for someone to patch Painter 6 for me so that I can use it with LCD Tablets with bigger than XGA resolution. I was more than happy with 6 until the day I found out that it couldn't cope with the SXGA resolution of my newly purchased Cintiq 18SX (that day in August 2004 was a dark dark day for my ongoing relationship with Painter).

Last edited by Shogmaster : 07 July 2005 at 10:39 AM.

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by Rick Champagne: Hi Folks,

Glad to see the news hit so fast! Thanks to many of you, the Painter IX 9.1 Update includes some great enhancements and stability improvements. Special thanks to those of you who contacted me directly and sent in your files to help the team track down these issues.
Painter just keeps getting better! Anyhow, it's time for me to fade back into the shadow, but as always, I'll still be "around".
green_leaf, we're already looking into the brush cursor thing...

Best regards,

Rick Champagne
Program Manager, Corel Painter
Corel Corporation
rick.champagne@corel.com

alright thanx Mr Rick Champagne

For the time being i just have to use the capture dab feature to make the similar effect.

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by Shogmaster: (snip) and I'm sick of feeling like an Alpha tester for it, so now at least I can feel like a Beta tester with 9.1.

And that's exactly how it looks like it's turning out. The patch is an improvement, but it appears does not repair the most annoying flaws. At least we are finally in beta now

Last edited by mdwsr : 07 July 2005 at 06:08 PM.

07 July 2005
Digital airbrush is performing much better hell even the gradient fills are much smoother now instead of choppy like before. The Brush resize change much needed

07 July 2005
I'm glad to hear the news about the Painter IX patch. Does it help those of you who were experiencing a "smooth transition problem" from a while back? That one was a show-stopper... watch all your color blends disappear.

07 July 2005
Is anyone having problem installing the patch? When I get to 'Items remaining to be installed: 54,' I get this message 'An error prevented the update from completing.
11500: 2,-14' and then it takes me back to install. I deleted the install file, downloaded it from a different browser, and got the same results.
I'm running a 1.8ghz Imac G5, 2 gb ram, Mac OS X ver. 10.3.9

07 July 2005
Ok, so brush projection is finally solved. Im little disappointment that with so huge list of upgrades there is no Adjustment correction on-the-fly in real view port, this tiny window is useles. Again, have to run to photoshop to just correct values, saturation and color, because I can see whole image.
One thing is still frustrating: when working on the layer and using flip horizontal and after this you are pressing CTRL+Z, layer selected goes to the canvas, so sometimes you dont know that selected layer has been changed, and you are working on a layer you dont want to. It happens in IX, and its really confusing when you notice, that you have painted so much on layer you dont want.
There was much more, but this is for now.
Thanks.

07 July 2005
Am I loopy or is 9.1 slower when your desktop is set to portrait resolutions? I have 9.1 on my Tablet PC as well as my desktop with nVidia card and setting allowing for desktop rotate function, and the brushes seem slower when drawing while in portrait then landscape.

Or was Painter 9 always like this and I never noticed?

Not a huge deal, but a funny quirk nonetheless.

Thread Closed share thread