CGTalk > Software > Photoshop / Painter
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-29-2005, 08:50 PM   #31
ssongro

Hello peeps. Thought this would be the best place for my question, any help would be most appreciated

Is there a way that I can move up and down layers with one hand? I'm finding it frustrating having to keep on moving my drawing hand to the keyboard to reach the "alt" key while my keyboard hand presses [ or ] I've got a standard keyboard which has an "Alt Gr" on the right hand side of the space bar which acts like a "crt" key when used with [ / ]

Thanks again

Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #32
ps
Frequenter

portfolio
Piotr Staszkiewicz
3d Generalist
Krakow, Poland

Anyone know how to change default color of workspace, something like in point 5 but to the workspace not space around image. I seen something like this in Gnomon DVD with Aaron Sims Vol. 1. He has black color of workspace. I'm not quite shure but I think that Dusso has the same.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #33
Anomaleye
&nbsp

Geoff Taylor
Canada

Send a message via MSN to Anomaleye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Morris
You can do a shortcut to brightness/contrast by using actions and "select menu item" from the palette menu when in record mode - I set mine to F2

k im assuming there isnt one for 7.0 thats what im using, cs(2) = resource hog (and it wont run on my pc...

Old 07-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #34
mazm
Frequenter

portfolio
Mohamed Abul Azm
West London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to mazm
i don't know exactly if this what you want or something else but you can change your background by click SHIFT + Fill too and click in the workspace area to change to the color you want.
i think if you read carefully from the first one you'll find it around.

hope it helps

Old 07-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #35
ps
Frequenter

portfolio
Piotr Staszkiewicz
3d Generalist
Krakow, Poland

I know about this. This is in point 5 this thread tips. That option fills space around image in window, but i want fill gray bacground outside window (I don't know is it possible)

Old 07-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #36
mazm
Frequenter

portfolio
Mohamed Abul Azm
West London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to mazm
can you put an image for the area you want to color it to know what you are tlaking about?

thanx

Old 07-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #37
berniebernie
Schmppff...

portfolio
Bernie B.
Paris, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps.pl
I know about this. This is in point 5 this thread tips. That option fills space around image in window, but i want fill gray bacground outside window (I don't know is it possible)

the gnomon dvd guy probably used the fullscreen mode (tap 'F' several times - at least twice), the bg is black.

Else the workspace color is your windows GUI color...

Old 07-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #38
stallion151
constipated CG

M
Australia

press 'f' once, to go to full screen mode with tool bar, then shift click with the bucket tool on the outer canvas area. and your foreground colour will fill the canvas, like mlkdesign mentioned the GUI will change the standard mode background...i think

Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #39
berniebernie
Schmppff...

portfolio
Bernie B.
Paris, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion151
press 'f' once, to go to full screen mode with tool bar, then shift click with the bucket tool on the outer canvas area. and your foreground colour will fill the canvas, like mlkdesign mentioned the GUI will change the standard mode background...i think

They are two separate things, the one you mention was Point 5 of the first post of the thread, (the window color), whereas I'm talking about the standatd window workspace backgrouund color, usually gray (I know I like to turn mine a tad brownish, it feels more 'warm')... Mac users fo instance don't have the same minimize, maximize, close buttons... As a matter of fact, I don't think they have a background in Photoshop, as when you work in window mode you can see your desktop. Yuk.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #40
stallion151
constipated CG

M
Australia

yearghh ye be right. thats probably where i read it too.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #41
I-NetGraFX
Know-nothing-at-All

portfolio
Daniel Kvasznicza
Matte Painter / Concept Artist
Laval, Canada

Angry

Quote:

It is possible, but not in Photoshop it self ... (Greetings to all adobe software developers out there!!!).
My desktop, workspace and document backgrounds are set to black.
Photoshop uses the colorsettings of Windows, since I know Photoshop .. o_O *wicked-sick*

So you just have to change the application background color similar as if you would change your desktop color. I dunno, why they didn't put that into some settings tab of Photoshop it self.

Generally I'm not fan of general settings of the operation system that interfere with my programs. I want to have a custom set of colors, which I can set independly in each software. Cinema 4D, for example, has the most convinient and most flexible GUI settings so far I know. Photoshop needs some more GUI improvements, though ...

just my 2 cents

Daniel

www.inetgrafx.com
www.meduzarts.com

daniel@inetgrafx.com

Old 07-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #42
Snap!
Rodrigo
Barcelona, España

Question Mode Change

Great thread!

I need some help, if you press shift + (Tool letter) will cycle between the tool (ej: paint tool, gradient tool).
So i wanna konw how i can change the mode inside the tool (like brush, pencil, block in the eraser)

Thanks

Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #43
stallion151
constipated CG

M
Australia

press SHIFT + + [the one near the backspace key] to cycle layer modes, burn and dodge modes, brush modes...etc.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #44
ftaswin
tick tick tick

portfolio
ft
3d
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
actually ctrl+shft+n works just fine, no alt necessary

Only if you want to get another dialog box... pressing alt will give you new layer straight away.

Back to brush, [ and ] will increase/decrease your brush size, shift + [ or ] will soften or harden your brush edge

Still in [ and ], Ctrl + [ or ] with move your currently selected layer up and down the hirarchy and Shift + [ or ] with select upper layer or lower layer

Stamp Tool (s) is used to copy an area of image (defined by alt+clicking and area) and paint it somewhere else (cloning). It also works when you have multiple images open at the same time. Alt click an area of any opened file image and paint it anywhere else.

After you created a text you can click on font type tab and tap "down" key over and over to scroll through the font list and see the changes in (relatively) real time. A Feature that I am tired of waiting to happen in illustrator.

Still in text, a trick from microsoft word also apply: hilight the text you ARE typing and hit ctrl+shift+ < or > to resize you text to your need interactively. Pressing Ctrl key while you ARE typing also gives you a free transform box temporarily and will go if you release it. Resizing text also works by pressing ctrl+T (on selected layer, not when you are typing). It still retain as an editable text layer after.

And remember, pressing enter when you type will take you to a new line just like typing a letter but pressing ctrl+Enter OR Enter on numeric key will finish what you type.

You can drag a layer on to any other opened images in photoshop and it will copy it as a layer (better than copy and paste imho). Holding down shift while moving it will snap the image right on the center of the other opened image

If you are working with sets....

Click on the set, in the blending mode it shows pass through by default... if you have an adjustment layer within a set and you want that adjustment layer to effect those layers underneath it WITHIN the set only, set the blending mode of the set to "normal" instead.

Mentioned before with more explanation:

- Pressed F to switch to 3 different viewing mode... when I first try it I said "wtf? what it's for?" Well, if you are sick of painting your image on the corners just to find yourself resizing your current image window, with F you can pan way outside your image. Happy corner painting!!

- Create a new file, 500x500 px, create a new layer, get a standard brush and paint a dot on the top center of your image (like the number 12 position on a clock). press ctrl+alt+T, it will duplicate your original layer and free transform the new one, move the pivot point (the circle with little dot in it found when you are free transforming something) to the center of your image, rotate your image 30 degrees to the right and hit OK to confirm the transform

now.........

be exicted..........

Hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+T 10 times and see what happen!! I have just found it last week. I used to think this can only be done in illustrator.

I hope that helps...............

Last edited by ftaswin : 07-10-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #45
ps
Frequenter

portfolio
Piotr Staszkiewicz
3d Generalist
Krakow, Poland

Thank you I-NetGraFX.
Tahnk you all.

reply share thread