Why photoshop?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
ahah, simply because dagimp don't let me do the half of what I do under photoshop !! Photoshop is not perfect, but simply the best on the market (at least for what I do with it). You really can't see its power in books, work intensively with it for more than a year and you will know some of its power ... Then look at others and laugh !

Kib

10 October 2004
Because the GIMP has pretty much no support for printing, which was what my original background was. Then comes the poor interface, and the lack of power.

It's great for free software. It's not great for PROFESSIONAL LEVEL GRAPHICS.

But if you're someone learning, or someone who is just a hobbyist, then the GIMP is great.

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by j077y_r0g3r: Why photoshop and not DA GIMP?

Why this thread?

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by Leigh: Why this thread?
You still don't know after 10,000 (what do you do all day??) posts ? He's flaming of course. We have a name for people like that: trolls.

10 October 2004
da gimp? This is seriously the name of a program? Just for that fact alone, I would not use it.

10 October 2004
The gimp is a bad copy of photoshop; doesn't feature all of its options. And it has a weird GUI. Peace all gimp lovers

10 October 2004
Quote: Why photoshop?

its industry standard.

10 October 2004
makes you feel like a big man :P

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by Ghostscape:
But if you're someone learning, or someone who is just a hobbyist, then the GIMP is great.

i hear WETA uses GIMP exclusively.

Advert:
Janus - multi-pass rendering for LightWave3D

10 October 2004
i think you heard wrong then.

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by halo: i think you heard wrong then.

i heard it from a good friend who works there. i'd say to take it up with him, but it would be improper to give you his contact info.

whatever...

Advert:
Janus - multi-pass rendering for LightWave3D

10 October 2004
perhaps it was only his dept, but I also know someone that worked there as a lead...

like you say, whatever.

10 October 2004
hope for the future, I hope

As a mostly broke person, not using school computers or software a studio bought, I use a slightly outdated version of photoshop, and it is definately the best 2d program I have used. I worked with GIMP for a while, as an experiment, and I found it did just about everything I need as a digital painter, but I don't know anything about how it works with photos. I really, really wanted GIMP to prevail, because I believe in open source computing. The big, final drawback was the lack of cmyk support. At this point, GIMP seems to be for the web only.

As the Linux releases get more and more user-friendly, I'm sure GIMP will improve too. As for bugginess, I'm no expert but I believe this is more common when using GIMP in windows. I was using it in a Linux environment and it seemed to behave pretty well. Regarding the person mildly aghast at the name, it stands for Graphic something something something, and I assume a euro-linux programmer came up with it, unaware of its perjorative connotations.

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by halo: perhaps it was only his dept, but I also know someone that worked there as a lead...

like you say, whatever.
I know guy who has bigger mouth than yours. And still, he doesn't use it so lame.

Poo-hoo, i've got bigger pussy cat than you, haha!

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread