FAQ:Why am I losing alpha channels in targas?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2006   #16
Originally Posted by DangerousCliff: sorry, i'm using CS2 now, and i'm trying to figure out how to save targas out using the transparancy as an alpha channel like i did in PS7...

Oh man. I sped-read through your post. Sorry about that!

Old 12 December 2006   #17
xott, that worked perfectly, a huge thanks!

Nanogator, no problems, thanks for helping.

Thanks again, all.

Old 12 December 2006   #18
After that Creat another folder in the same area that you created the "Alpha Targa Plugin"
but name it "TransparancyTarga Plugin" then copy the "Targa.8BI" from the Computer that is using Photoshop 7 ( it is in roughly the same area that the alpha targa plugin was from theother computer)

lastly copy the
"Targa.8BI" file in your "TransparancyTarga Plugin" folder in to Photoshop CS's plugin folder and restart Photoshop

any question please ask

Old 05 May 2007   #19
PNG Plug-ins for Photoshop 7 and later

Originally Posted by NanoGator: The above link to the targa plugin is for Macintosh. I found the Windows version here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downlo...544&fileID=1478

Thanks for posting that! Hopefully save me some headaches.

Question: Is there a PNG version, too? Tried to find it, but my sleep deprived mind...

The PNGOUT Plug-in for Photoshop has very broad support for PNG transparency, including indexed PNG with 256 levels of transparency. It supports Photoshop 7 and later.

Old 10 October 2007   #20
hi there!

vimas web image guru 5.5 is a nice plugin for photoshop, too.
it supports all png-functions and other formats as well!

a free trial is available.

chem!

Old 10 October 2007   #21
hi there!

vimas web image guru 5.5 is a nice plugin for photoshop, too.
it supports all png-functions and other formats as well!

a free trial is available.

chem!

Old 10 October 2008   #22
i am trying to open up targa files with CS3, with the transparency already apllied to the image just like in ps 7.

i tried replacing the CS2 targa plugin with PS7 targa plugin but it's not working.

am i missing a step?

Old 03 March 2014   #23
Need help with .TGA file

Hello, I am new to this forum and need some help. I am currently going back to school for Digital Design for a career change. I have a .jpeg pic that I removed the sky and need to save transparency in a .tga. I have tried several things but no luck. So as I said, I am new to Photoshop as well so can anyone walk me thru this? I am using Photoshop CC which is CS6.

**Retract the above post, I did some more research and figured it out. Thanks again anyway.

Last edited by DavidW13 : 03 March 2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Figured it out

Old 03 March 2014   #24
Originally Posted by DavidW13: Hello, I am new to this forum and need some help. I am currently going back to school for Digital Design for a career change. I have a .jpeg pic that I removed the sky and need to save transparency in a .tga. I have tried several things but no luck. So as I said, I am new to Photoshop as well so can anyone walk me thru this? I am using Photoshop CC which is CS6.

Try ctrl + clicking on the Layer, right where it shows you the little thumbnail of it. That should select the transparency in that layer. Then go to the top of the screen, click "Selection", and then "Save Selection". When asked for options, just click Ok. Try saving it as .tga (make sure it's 32-bit and not 24-bit) and see if that works.

if that works I'll explain to you what's going on.

Old 03 March 2014   #25
Originally Posted by NanoGator: Try ctrl + clicking on the Layer, right where it shows you the little thumbnail of it. That should select the transparency in that layer. Then go to the top of the screen, click "Selection", and then "Save Selection". When asked for options, just click Ok. Try saving it as .tga (make sure it's 32-bit and not 24-bit) and see if that works.

if that works I'll explain to you what's going on.

Thanks, I will try this as well.

Old 03 March 2014   #26
Originally Posted by DavidW13: Thanks, I will try this as well.

Worked perfectly and quicker/easer than the way I came up with. Now I know 2 ways, Thanks

Old 03 March 2014   #27
Glad to hear! Basically when you 'save selection', it creates an Alpha channel. You can see it in the Layers window if you click on the "Channels" tab. You'll see Red, Green, Blue, and the new layer you made.

Now there is something to be mindful of, here. If you 'save selected' again, it'll create a NEW Alpha channel. Meaning you'll have TWO of them. So if you save that TGA again, it's likely the transparency won't work. If that happens.. don't panic. Just go into that channel delete all but the one Alpha channel you need.

reply share thread