FAQ:Why do my colours look odd in Photoshop but not other apps

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by Bun: Halo:

Thanks for your reply. It seems like happened after I updated my tft driver which they added a new colour profile.

I played around the setting a little and went to Image>Mode>Assign Profile and assigned my monitor's Colour profile and it fixed the problem.

I couldnt however assign profile to each image opened automatcially, but those who having similar problem could try this method

This was the only way i could fix this problem i had.

Problem:
It was that photoshop render the pictures alot brighter then it should. So I changed from sRGB to Monitor RBG - MX70. And now photoshop renders everything correctly!

05 May 2006
I also had problem with this (Windows)

I've found out that not installing the monitor drivers was the best solution as it install altered color profiles that mismatch web/online display.

You can also uninstall the color profile in system folder in Safe Mode.

06 June 2006
Guys, please keep in mind that it isn´t possible to switch off Colormanagement in PS.
Sure, you ´re able to work without it by checking CM off, but then PS works with an internal profile you absolutley can´t control.

Toledo, i switch a lot between Painter and PS and images look the same in both apps.
I would recommend to work in Adobe RGB in both Painter and PS, this is a profile which is optmised to 2.2 Gamma and 6500 kelvin.
For working with profiles in Painter you should see my little howto i posted for ahbeejieeh.
Also you should use the PS-Format , because Painter has problems with Tiffs including profiles.

Before posting you should convert the pic into sRGB (in PS ) or, since there are a few browsers which support profiles , delete it by un-checking the "embedd profile" Function in the " save to web" Dialogue.

Hope that helpes.

CU around
art

06 June 2006
Many people have commented that my darker images (black wolves mainly) are hard to see because they're Too dark, while for me they seem fine. I can see all the details clearly without any eye strain.
So I figured I should try and sort this out..

But I don't understand the Adobe Gamma calibration.. I've followed it through once along with the tutorial linked, but it's turned out way too bright.

I think it's the matching the boxes thing.
The first one, where it gets you to pump up the contrast then adjust the brightness so that the center box is 'only just visible against the black surround' while keeping the frame bright white. I can't get that. The center box is always grey and clearly visible. The darkest it'll go doesn't make much of a difference, it just darkens the white.

Then the Gamma box matching.. Adjusting the slider so the center box fades into the patterned frame. How can a solid colour 'fade' into a black and white lined frame? I kind of just left it in the middle.

Then with the coloured ones, I just matched the solid box with the colored lines, ignoring the black. But obviously that's wrong.

Any help? B:

03 March 2007
sRGB is a pretty generic profile. Especially when you're actually working with color. As opposed to simply viewing color.
Adobe RGB has a much wider gamma and can display many more colors than a generic profile like sRGB.
It's a shame to use such a generic profile when using such an advanced app like PS.
Or any other design app that deals with precise color.

09 September 2007
Whoops! Where's Adobe Gamma gone??

Whoops! Where's Adobe Gamma gone??

"It is most likely still on your system but when you un-installed elements a registry entry was removed. Look for "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma.cpl"you can start it from there you should also see the loader in that directory." - JJMacks
I found it from
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/r...03&changemode=1

07 July 2008
Originally Posted by JonZ: I also had problem with this (Windows)

I've found out that not installing the monitor drivers was the best solution as it install altered color profiles that mismatch web/online display.

You can also uninstall the color profile in system folder in Safe Mode.

I have also had this problem at work when I got a new monitor. Uninstalling every driver that came with the monitor seem to have fixed it.

10 October 2008
Originally Posted by Dunewolf: Many people have commented that my darker images (black wolves mainly) are hard to see because they're Too dark, while for me they seem fine. I can see all the details clearly without any eye strain.
So I figured I should try and sort this out..

But I don't understand the Adobe Gamma calibration.. I've followed it through once along with the tutorial linked, but it's turned out way too bright....:

I think it really does depend on your actual monitor. Some monitors just wont be able to show the whole range of tones. For instance, I have 3 monitors. A Dell, which is quite dark, a Samsung SyncMaster, which is very bright and also has gamma correction, and a Cintiq which is in the middle.

Now I can adjust the SyncMaster by eye using the Gamma boxes (ie where the middle box disappears into the outter box) and the screen still shows a good range of tone both in highlights and shadow.

However doing that on either the Dell or the Cintiq means I totally loose the tonal range in the very dark and the very light. It is simply a limitation of the screen. So personally I never use Adobe Gamma.

I've forked out for a Spyder3Pro to do my screens but still their tones don't exactly match. However before that I turned off Adobe Gamma completely and tweaked the tones/gamma via my graphics card (Nvida). I then used sites such as This and this and this to check I could see the tonal range. I doesn't help with colour just tone.

If everyone is saying that your images are too dark then you probably do have your screen too light. This will mean once you darken the tone on your screen you'll probably have to tweak your images to lighten them. Have a look at the links above to check you can see a good range.

01 January 2009
I hear there is no Gamma in CS3. Is that true? I've gone to the common files and nothings there.

reply share thread