CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
isohexane
portfolio
James Fuller
Athens, USA

What filter/plugin/FX did this? (example inside)

Hi all,

I was searching for close-ups of ears of wheat and I saw a pretty (and clearly very processed, into a "drawing") color pic. I thought hey, that's nicely watercolor-ish (which always interests me) and I grabbed it.

(Note, I shrunk that down for posting. You can see the un-shrunk original here (imgur link) where the filter effect is lots easier to see.)

A bit later and on a different site I stumbled across this very old bit of black-and-white clip art.

I sense a certain, uh, resemblance between the two pics! (What I actually mean to say is SMOKIN' GUN! Especially since both the two originals just happen to have exactly the same 1002 x 1289 px dimensions.)

My question: does anybody recognize the filter or plugin or whatever that could transform the black and white clip art version into a color image like the one shown above it? And maybe also what software was in use? PS? Painter? Something else? I ache to know!

Thanks very much!
Jim Fuller

Old 02-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

There are a ton of free actions for that. Cartoon, water colour etc. Some of the built-in Photoshop filters might even be able to give that effect for you.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Just re-reading your post and realizing the colour version is the after image. Are you sure it wasn't the original image and got converted to greyscale?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
isohexane
portfolio
James Fuller
Athens, USA

Thanks for responding, Dillster. Here's a link to the full size greyscale version. I don't know absolutely for sure which version came first but you can open both large images (imgur links) in tabs and flip back and forth between 'em and look for yourself. It seems pretty clear to me you'd have to do a good bit more than just desaturate the color version to get the "antient clip art" look the greyscale version has. You'd have to get rid of those uniform striations going from upper left to lower right in the color version, and get rid of the "wet edges" effect, and re-focus everything to make it all look like plain pen strokes in black ink, and so forth.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread