What Photoshop filter do you wish you had?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Lightbulb What Photoshop filter do you wish you had?

As per the title, what filter in Photoshop do you wish you had that currently doesn't exist (or is difficult to find)?

This could be anything from color correction, distortion effects, blurs, sharpens, etc. Perhaps some process you must currently do in another app? Perhaps something outrageous you would never be able to achieve in PS?

Feel free to post anything you can think of that would be cool to have...

I ask because I develop plugins / filters and am always interested in what other artists are looking for. Sometimes, it's not that tough to create.

-Rich
www.cgsphere.com
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

Last edited by richardrosenman : 10 October 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
From the top of my head:

A good anti alias filter.
A good watercolor filter that works with high resolution images.

What I really would like to see is some way to have a brush tool that could (randomly or in sequence) swap between a series of brushes/images for a random look.

I need to think a while for some more...

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Hmmm... silent in here...

Keep 'em coming guys. Any ideas, please post! No matter how simple, complicated & crazy you might think they might be.

-Rich
www.cgsphere.com
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Originally Posted by richardrosenman: Hmmm... silent in here...

Keep 'em coming guys. Any ideas, please post! No matter how simple, complicated & crazy you might think they might be.

-Rich

Hi Rich,

Question:

Are you developing plugins that will work in Windows 7 64 bit?

If so, I'd be interested in knowing because I miss some of the filters installed on my old (now deceased) Windows XP computer.

Thanks,

Jinny

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Jinbrown: Hi Rich,

Question:

Are you developing plugins that will work in Windows 7 64 bit?

If so, I'd be interested in knowing because I miss some of the filters installed on my old (now deceased) Windows XP computer.

Thanks,

Jinny

Hi Jinny;

I will be. But I am waiting for the developers of the 64bit compilers to release it, so that I, in turn, can compile and release mine. So it's not up to me - I'm dependent on another piece of software which is still in development in order to release mine.

I have been told that the development is nearing it's completion and hopefully within a month or two I will be able to release 64bit versions.

Please keep checking back.

-Rich
www.cgsphere.com
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Filter Meister, I presume? Why not name it? ;-)

Developer just stated a 64bit alpha will be out in a couple of weeks:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FMML/message/11140

http://www.filtermeister.com/

I am also eagerly awaiting the new version.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Could you develop an overscroll plugin for photoshop on windows so can pan around the canvas in windowed mode? Adobe already have it for Mac, this would be extremely useful and is somthing I would gladly pay for.

Hers a few others since you asked

Canvas that can be docked to the toolbar, like painter has so can mix colours.

A lattice deformer for the transform tool that can have the number of divisions and control points altered.

Is this kind of thing actually even possible to do or is photoshop very closed in this way?

Old 10 October 2012   #8
KPT Fractal Designer
KPT Gradient

Though I think the versions from KPT2, but not sure. And modernized for functionality.

I'd like PShop to rearchitect so plugins weren't "a program you go out to then come back from" but integral things.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Radial (zoom) shape blur
A filter that blurs a layer or a selection radially (zoom) but instead of being circular it's formed by the shape of the layer or the selection.

Don't understand? Take a look at my avatar.
If you want to make an energy/light burst kinda thing then you have to do a lot of other stuff in order to get this effect (and it never gets perfect imo without a render). A filter would be so much easier.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Originally Posted by Pixero: A good anti alias filter.
Absolutely!

Old 10 October 2012   #11
- Something to generate curves or lut by comparing two images (original image and captured image) from color swatches.
This could be used to 'roughly' simulate a certain camera response curve.

- 32bit curves in photoshop pls (is a must).
Adobe should be ashamed thats not in photoshop yet.

- A good glare/halo filter.

- A good chromatic abberation filter, one that can use zdepth and hdr highlights (get more correct results).

- Your dof plugin with 32bit hdr support

- More resize filters (lancsoz, sinc, catmul rom, box, triangle, mitchell-netravali).

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 10 October 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
I'd second a good uprez filter.
A "modern" radial/ zoom blur with coordinates than can be applied on full image preview not that ancient wireframe hit and miss dialogue box.

Using PS new Allow tool recording option in Actions, it would be very useful to be able to playback and export a drawing session like Painter has had for ages, as a movie file with options on framerate etc.

Also a tracing image plugin a la Painter or Artrage, with combined options would be neat.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Hey guys;

Some of these ideas are great and exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote: A "modern" radial/ zoom blur with coordinates than can be applied on full image preview not that ancient wireframe hit and miss dialogue box.
Evanfotis, have you seen my Motion Blur Lab PRO filter? It is exactly for that sort of thing. Check it out.

Quote: - A good glare/halo filter.
CHRiTTeR, have you seen my Lumiere filter? That's what it's for. Check it out.

Quote: KPT Fractal Designer
Does this generate fractals? I have a few plugins that do as well. Check out Fractus and Buddhabrot, located here: http://www.richardrosenman.com/software/downloads/

Quote: A good anti alias filter.
I'll look into this.

Quote: - A good chromatic abberation filter, one that can use zdepth and hdr highlights (get more correct results).
I have been thinking of such a tool. It's not too complicated to write - although with the features you specified moreso. How would you use a depth map for chromatic aberration?

One thing to mention is that I am limited to the filters menu only. So I can only develop filters, not file IO plugins, desktop plugins, etc. Still, one can accomplish many tasks through the filter menu.

Please continue to throw more ideas at any time. In the meantime, I'll think about some of these...

-Rich
www.cgsphere.com
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Originally Posted by richardrosenman: I have been thinking of such a tool. It's not too complicated to write - although with the features you specified moreso. How would you use a depth map for chromatic aberration?

I've always heared (so im not 100% sure its true, but it sounds logical) that chromatic aberration is stronger in non-focused parts, because of how a lens works?

Old 11 November 2012   #15
Normal map relight in PS. Would be great!

Thread Closed share thread