Advanced transparency Q has haunted my career

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Advanced transparency Q has haunted my career

For my +10 career with photoshop there's one thing that has haunted me forever, and if someone knows the answer I might start a religion around that person.

Let's say I want to do a picture like the attached.

BUT I want to do it non-destructively, I don't want to copy-paste the pixels of fonts into a layer mask because that means that every time I need to make an adjustment to one of the fonts I have to redo the copy-pasting.

In theory you'd think I could just have:
*Text layer (blending mode: Erase)
*Solid black background layer.
But of course there are no blending mode in Photoshop that can ERASE the layers beneath into transparency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QCS_20120919123609.jpg (27.4 KB, 14 views)

Old 09 September 2012   #2
It is possible, in the advanced layer options you need to use the "knockout" feature and set the fill opacity of the layer to zero:

Basically you do this:

create your text above the layer you want to affect

double-click on the text layer in the layers palette to open the layer properties

set the fill opacity to zero (leave the main opacity at 100)

set the knockout option to shallow, this just clips the one layer below

Now your text is still editable, and the transparency will change dynamically.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Just to add, if you want to limit how many layers are clipped put them in a group.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Amazing, I've asked this at every workplace I've been to and no one has known the answer! Works perfectly, cheers dude!

I've experimented with the knockout setting before, but I realize now that the layer you're trying to knockout from must not be a background layer!

I couldn't mark your post as useful because it told me I need to give someone else reputation before putting you to 'useful' AGAIN, which I find strange because I haven't been to this forum for years, I guess you've must have helped me many times before too.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
I've always known that the Advanced Blending options are powerful - but I never knew you could do that. Interesting...

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread