sjcrompo
Frequenter

portfolio
Steve Crompton
Stockport, United Kingdom

Dots

Hi

One for the photoshop gurus out there.

I need to create a pattern as shown in the attached. Basically is like a half tone pattern but with a certain sized dot at the bottom of the panel in a 45 degree pattern with each row going up the panel having a reduced dot size, so that by the time it gets to the top of the panel its all but a pin prick.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about this. It seemed easy at first but now it has me stumped. I have tried all ways I know of creating half tone patterns, but all I get is it all bunched up at the fat end which is making it almost a solid block of colour.

Any help would be much appreciated on this. It has to be something that I can do in photoshop.

Thanks for any advice or pointers to tuts. I have searched for half tone tuts but none tell me how to do this exactly.

Thanks

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DOT.JPG (42.2 KB, 25 views)

Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
roguenroll
concept / matte

Florida,
USA

put a circle in a small canvas 50x50, trans background. select whole canvas, save as pattern.
image > define pattern (name it something memorable)

then (paint bucket) edit > fill > dropdown - select pattern, find your saved dot

the closeness to the sides will determine how close next one is. paste into a large document.

the rows will be horizontal

then transform 45 degrees.

R

Last edited by roguenroll : 06-22-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
pauljs75
WingsNut

portfolio
Paul Jay Schrenker
Starving artist
Waukegan, USA

Send a message via MSN to pauljs75
This almost sounds like something that would be much easier to do in Illustrator. (Most people or businesses get the entire creative suite, so if you have one you're likely to have the other.) If you know how to make a dashed line with rounded ends in Illustrator, then do a dash length of 0pt and vary the gap length and stroke width to determine the spacing and size of your dots. Start with the biggest dot size you want first. Successive lines would have smaller stroke widths and possibly gap spacing depending on what effect you're going for. Group that set of dot-lines, adjust to the angle wanted, and draw a box to crop (registration marks?).

Then save that to a format easier to use in Photoshop. (Photoshop should bring in .ai files ok, but sometimes that isn't always the best way to do it.) Export should have .psd, but "save for web" with .png might offer more flexibility.

At least to me that sounds like the easy way.

Last edited by pauljs75 : 07-09-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
gruhn
Expert

portfolio
Peter M. Gruhn
Medfield, USA

Illustrator seems to be the (a) way to go.
See this image (not loaded here due to restrictions) http://www.hwb.com/gruhn/howto/dotshelp.png

Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
frog
frog

portfolio
Richard Yot
illustrator
London, United Kingdom

This is just from using the Color Halftone filter in Photoshop, seems to do what you are after. The trick is to enter the same value in all the boxes in the filter dialog, and to try different gradients until you get the pattern you are looking for. In this case I drew a gradient going from dark grey to white before applying the halftone filter.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
gruhn
Expert

portfolio
Peter M. Gruhn
Medfield, USA

Thanks Richard. I had this weird feeling that what I was doing in Photoshop was not the thing I was looking for.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread