photoshop 'resolution' setting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2002
Oh, and in case any graphics programming nerds frequent this forum, I know my stating that the first 512 DWORD's corresponds to the top line of pixels in the image is kind of misleading, some formats start from the bottom line up.
Dan

04 April 2002
Ok, I just came up with a way to show you a little proof behind what I'm saying in case you think I'm nuts or something. Open up photoshop and go to create a new file. In the new file dialog, set the width and height to be set as "inches" in the drop down lists. Now flip back and forth between 300 and 30 under Resolution pixels/inch. Watch the file size fluctuate up and down under "Image Size:". Now set the width and height to be set as pixels. Now flip back and forth between 300 and 30 under Resolution pixels/inch. Notice how the file size doesn't change now. 1024x1024 is 1024 across by 1024 down, no matter what the ppi, no matter what your monitors resolution is set at. Ppi is only a scale used when printing.
Dan

04 April 2002
I understand most of that stuff, but I was wondering if someone could clear this up:

Isn't the ppi on screen going to be different with different screen sizes and resolutions? I know that 72 ppi is standard, but it seems logical that if I raise the resolution on screen, then there are going to more pixels squeezed into the inch. So does that mean that a screen inch is relative, and doesn't actually correspond to a ruler if I were to stick it up to my monitor?

04 April 2002
Gilgamesh: The screen-size is something rather different... All dpi (ppi) does is define the resolution in print.

On screen the inch is relative.
Example: My monitor is approximately 30 cm (11.8 inches) wide and running at 1280x1024 resolution. 11.8inches/1280px means every pixel is 0.00922 inches wide. Multiply that value with 72 to get the "relative inch" (0.00953x72=0.686). This should state that 1 "screen inch" equals 0.664 real inches. (Hope I got i right!)
Test this by using the rulers in Photoshop.... which I just did, and for some reason it doesn't seem to be right!! Oh well...

For screen-use however, just go with the pixel-width/height of the image, never mind the resolution unless you want it in print.

04 April 2002
Holy crap! that's the most confusing series of questions/answers/statements I've ever heard! It's really not as confusing as you all make it out to be (at least i think so, i'm not sure after reading all that malarky! lol) I think you were measuring your entire screen size, not the projected screen size. You would need to adjust your screen to be an exact width across to get an acurate measurement for the equation. I tried doing it, but it's really really REALLY hard trying to measure the screen with a ruler, as I'm sure you know. Didnt really have anything to add, just thought i'd continue with confusing people who read this.
"...thats all it is...information. Even a simulated experience or a dream is simultaneous reality and fantasy. Any way you look at it, all the information a person accumulates in a lifetime is just a drop in the bucket."
Bateau, Section 9

editmedia homepage

05 May 2002
Yeah FBMachine is absolutly right.

And I worked in the print businness for 3 years, and you have to determine the kind of paper you are gonna print on.

If it's a good quality paper, you can print something that have a 300dpi of resolution.

Newspaper journal up to 150 dpi.

The DPI use is usualy twice the screen ruling.

ANd the screen rulling is determine by the type of paper.
Ask your printer about the screen ruling

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread