Next challenge discussion thread.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
Next challenge discussion thread.

Please use this thread to discuss our next challenge

NUKE.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2009
Not a nuke, but a really cool explosion I saw on Digg today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOJppJSKG9Y&

12 December 2009
Thumbs up

I am definetely in on this one!

Martin

12 December 2009
Lots of potential with this theme.

12 December 2009
It would be funny to redo the Indiana Jones 'nuke the fridge' shot, only with a dead body in the fridge.

Maybe a Star War nuke.... with stars blow off and black hole forming(?)

Maybe nuke in a very alien environment:
dark underground world (caves) with huge slimy bugs and nests
underwater city blow off (the rendering probably will kill computers)

12 December 2009
I'm in on this also. Any news on when this is going to start or how long it will be?

12 December 2009
It will be In January of 2010. And BTW we all need to talk about the future of the forum.
I think some changes are in order after all these years.

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 12 December 2009 at 12:33 AM.

12 December 2009
Couldn't agree more Roberto. In regards to changes I'm not sure I can offer too many suggestions. After being involved in in FX wars over the past few years I have noticed the large drop off of involved participants, as the project goes on. And topic is also really hard. There are so many choices, and there are so many cool ones. You have tried to do challenges where we are given the option of integrating into supplied plates or footage, and recently challenges where we get the option of using stuff from the HCM. Don't forget that FX generally gets less interest than say, the HCM. its just the way it goes.

Other than saying all of that, I'm not sure I have suggestions for change. It looks like one month isn't enough for people? But I would say, that 1 month would be enough for nuke for me. That being said I do have time off and people work ect. Perhaps have two weeks of recourse and thought gathering before the challenge starts?

I'm in for the Nuke Btw. Ive just gotta finish my current project.

And DAMN aminos for steeling my idea (indianna jones)! ha ha. Your not supposed to reveal stuff like that until your done :P

Last edited by JonathanFreisler : 12 December 2009 at 02:47 PM.

12 December 2009
Wink

Hello Everyone, Great stuff going on there JonathanFreisler!

I agree with JonathanFreisler, a month for the Nuke could work just fine even with my crazy schedule at work.

Hey Jonathan that makes two of us!
"DAMN aminos for steeling my idea as well, (indianna jones)! ha ha. As soon as I saw nuke I thought about that one, ohh well, let's see what we can do about that" lol, that's definetely a great idea aminos.

I also agree that there seem to be very few people participating in the FX challenge, I know for sure we have a pretty big large number of fx artist going on on CGTALK, Maya dynamics has a lot of people going there, the fume and after burn threads also have a pretty big spread. The fx challenge should be packed with a lot of talent. I am not sure if it is because of the type of challenge or missing resources but even I find myself skipping certain challenges. Anyways, in all true this challenge has a good potential and I am in for the nuke challenge.

Regards,

Martin

12 December 2009
my opinion

I think FX Contests should be focused more on FX purity. It seems paradossal but I've noticed that in the last contests there are too many tasks involved such as animation,direction,montage,lighting and more...
I think it should be more concentrated on the pure quality of effects...A banal example: I think that a single water drop that crashes on a plane or a broken glass offer a variety of difficulties to reproduce them perfectly :-)
My 2 cents :-)

Bye,
Mirco

12 December 2009
Couldnt agree more with micro.

Its great of offer, complete projects (invasion, QOTRM) But you have to think of the attention span. A lot more people are going to go through with a 'smaller' single FX shot, than string together 2, or 5, or 10. Ive said it before, but fireworks, and cannon fire, and tornado are in theory single shot FX shots that get people excited and result in a lot of strong entry's.

Last edited by JonathanFreisler : 12 December 2009 at 01:35 PM.

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by aminos: It would be funny to redo the Indiana Jones 'nuke the fridge' shot, only with a dead body in the fridge.

Wanted to refresh my memory... It's cool. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGuXXGgVq0

-Rich
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

Last edited by richardrosenman : 12 December 2009 at 02:10 AM.

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by JonathanFreisler: Couldnt agree more with micro.

Its great of offer, complete projects (invasion, QOTRM) But you have to think of the attention span. A lot more people are going to go through with a 'smaller' single FX shot, than string together 2, or 5, or 10. Ive said it before, but fireworks, and cannon fire, and tornado are in theory single shot FX shots that get people excited and result in a lot of strong entry's.

I have been thinking about that A LOT.
We will be doing some smaller challenges for the time being, but I still want to do bigger
events
Maybe I could create a challenge with a shared universe idea.
Done in a way that all the entries could be pieced together like a movie trailer or a short...

12 December 2009
so there will be no giant robots?

Thread Closed share thread