FXWARS Challenge:36 -Seven Towers - JamesNZ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #16
Another quick update:

Very WIP, there's a lot of seams to paint out
UV unwrapping times are getting longer as the polycount goes up
C&C very welcome!

- Jesus

Old 10 October 2012   #17
My computer stopped working a few days ago so I wasn't able to do much recently, got it fixed today though so back to work

Here's a quickie render, please excuse my awful lighting:

Not very happy with it. Texture mapping seems wrong especially.

C&C?

- Jesus

Old 10 October 2012   #18
Started on the materials for another bit today:

The rock texture looks a bit small so I'll probably scale that up a bit. And use some kind of map for the moss layer, right now it's just mixing the stone and moss shaders together.

C&C very welcome

- Jesus

Old 10 October 2012   #19
Progress so far:

Couple of issues came out in this render:
1. Will definitely have to redo the material for the spikes
2. Bump mapping should be increased for some objects.

My current detailing workflow is to use displacement for the big details and bump mapping for the smaller stuff (cracks, dips etc). I'll look into adding another layer of displacement, problem is that it may not come out very well unless I increase the polycount; and my machine is straining as it is

The materials seem to be just whiting out under bright light, so that's either something wrong with my spec maps (likely) or because I'm clamping the renders to prevent noise...

Back to work

- Jesus

Old 10 October 2012   #20
Another update:

I've changed most of the materials to bring out the glossy shader a bit more. Still got some work to do on the spikes material, I might change the textures. It's looking a weird purple/gold color at the top

C&C welcome

- Jesus

Old 10 October 2012   #21
Here's a more complete render:

The blue bits have a WIP displacement modifier. Some parts look like they need a bit more moss so I'll check that out. Modelling needs some work as well, what's an ancient tower doing with perfectly lined up edges Overall I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

Any C&C?

- Jesus

Old 11 November 2012   #22
Heads up

FXWars 7 Towers: One Month to GO.
I am looking forward seeing more of your entry.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #23
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Heads up

FXWars 7 Towers: One Month to GO.
I am looking forward seeing more of your entry.

-R

No pressure, right?

LOL! Anyway, here's a WIP for another portion:

Not happy with it. The yellow area is supposed to be mossy but the details in the image don't seem to be coming out. Will have to fiddle with that a bit, might change the texture. Bump map also seems stretched for some reason

Polycount is now about 3.5 million, it takes a solid gig of RAM just to open the file. Which is a bit worrying considering I've only got 3GB

I'm aiming to finish texturing in the next day or so, that will give me about a month to focus on compositing.

Some feedback would be really appreciated

- Jesus

Old 11 November 2012   #24
Nearly done with the texturing Quick render below:

The material shown is just the first shader layer for the base rock. Next I'll add another layer for the moss, then combine them with a custom map. My GIMP skills have been markedly improved through this month, which is really helping!

I had to reduce the detail level for one of the objects. The file was simply unusable on my laptop with 3.5 million polys, now it's down to 2.5 million.

Cycles recently got support for OSL, kinda wishing I knew C++ so I could code some custom shaders

C&C welcome

- Jesus

Old 11 November 2012   #25

Just a couple more tweaks and I can start on the compositing! Sooooo excited! I've been looking forward to this bit

Ideas for integration:

1. Composite tower over the BG (shown below)
2. Extend the canyon edge with 3D geometry, then place the tower on said geometry (make it look a bit more exciting)

I pulled together a quick n' dirty comp with an old render to figure out the framing:

That's the backplate I'll be using. I've extended the sky by quite a lot to allow for the tower to appear (still a few issues there though). Will be experimenting with the camera movement....

Feedback would be greatly appreciated

- Jesus

Old 11 November 2012   #26
Okaaaaay. Last couple of days have pretty much been headache after headache Gives me a new respect for the people who establish large software pipelines

Anyway! Made a lot of progress, I've set up the basic Nuke script to build on. Now I'm trying to match the camera angles (trickier than expected!) and lighting.

Progress:

Lookin' very very bad Tomorrow I'll look into extending the rock face.

C&C welcome

- Jesus

Old 11 November 2012   #27
Been doing a lot of tests over the last few days, and I've decided how I'm going to do the compositing.

My script is using Nuke's 3D system, with 3 cards:
1. Background sky replacement
2. Alpha mapped mid-ground canyon picture
3. Alpha mapped tower render

For integrating the tower with the canyon I'll position the tower so it look as if it's built into the cliff in the foreground:

There's some vegetation in the way so this afternoon I'll repaint that area in the GIMP, adjust the lighting/color correction (still not quite right), and render another image with some proxy geometry to get the shadows between the tower an the cliff.
And I might model some more detail around the base just for kicks

Missing the lovely relight node, it keeps crashing Nuke

C&C welcome!

- Jesus

Old 11 November 2012   #28
Getting there. Very, very slowly. Progress so far :

Got a loooong way to go :(
C&C welcome!

- Jesus

Old 11 November 2012   #29
Phew! Only 11 days to go Progress update:

Lighting still needs some tweaking. But the shadows... ATM I get wacky results if I just multiply it over the footage so I've done some roto to get rid of the bits I don't want, obviously it's working very well.

I'm using the AO pass for the shadows, so either I make a shader that will get the AO to only react with the tower, or I'll have to put the all the faces of the proxy cliff on different renderlayers :

Will also have to remodel the proxy cliff, it's not very accurate ATM.

C&C welcome

EDIT: The base of the tower is looking like it's a miniature, does anyone know why? Doesn't look very nice....

- Jesus

Last edited by JamesNZ : 11 November 2012 at 04:03 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #30
i've got a question since the begining: what are the colored squares on the pictures?

Thread Closed share thread