FX Wars! Moonshot! Roux (Hard Science)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
That's looking very good. However, you need to have the steam have less noise. It looks too busy. Needs to be slightly more blobby.

But other than that, fantastic job.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

04 April 2005
Thanks PixelMagic. I agree with you totally. I am not having a great deal of success though.

I think my limited skills with hv's and the inherent shortcomings of Lightwave hyper-voxels (volumetrics) are going to limit how far I can go with this.
Any lightwave HV gurus out there willing to lend a hand?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web_smoke_test3.jpg (30.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg hv_tests.jpg (30.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg web_smoke_test6.jpg (26.0 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Roux : 04 April 2005 at 09:20 AM.

04 April 2005
Oh forgot to mention, the launchpad and tower were based on a mesh from IvortheEngine from LWG. They actually represent the modern shuttle pad> I am using them as partial reference and gradually replacing them with my own mesh. The Tower is all mine and the pad is about 60%complete. I will post wires for comparison when done.

04 April 2005
Hey buddy. Love the work so far. I would try and ramp down the luminosity a little on the earth shots and try and remove some of the gloss, other than that looks good. I like the colour tones. Love the smoke and steam, did you manage to ramp up the particle life for the animation? I am really looking forward to seeing the whole launch sequence.

04 April 2005
Thanks dude.

I see what you mean with the earth shots. Just prelim renders for the moment anyways. Easy to change.
I hope you're busy modelling and not just crusing the net ;-)

04 April 2005
Alittle more modelling on the rocket details. Here is the untextured almost complete escape tower and capsule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg escape_tower.jpg (18.4 KB, 44 views)

04 April 2005
That forth smoke picture looks really good. However, you now need to put just a LITTLE bit more noise back into the smoke. Then you will have it perfectly.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

04 April 2005
Thanks. I think 75% of the forth image and 25% of the previous settings. Although, I have lost the ambient light thats seen through the cloud when the rocket is on the pad. All the ref shots show a clear yellow/orange glow. More tweaking I guess

04 April 2005
Argghhhhh! I hate hypervoxels. That small change has taken hours of tweeking but no improvement in the smoke noise yet I don't think that hypervoxels and the words "LITTLE change" go together at all.

Anyway before I went insane, I started on my models for the very first shot of the sequence. There are some floors in the models and some details that need to be corrected but nothing that will be too noticable. Thoughts?

04 April 2005
well roux ur last set is really looking good!!but i m not getting what do u gonna do with this set in moonshot?

04 April 2005
Thanks. Seeing as I chose Apollo 13, my guys don't get to land on the moon so I thought I would do something a little extra to make up for it. I also tend to get carried away when I have time to work on a personal project instead of the usual hum drum stuff.

I'm working on the characters at the moment.

04 April 2005
Picture perfect. (As usual for you). Hope you are going to fix the fire extinguisher though. Looks like a suppository. Hey what do you know, I pre-empted your reply to me. INSERT comment here.

This is going to be a great short flic, I figure you must be getting, oh an hour of sleep a night. Cut back on that and you should be finished quicker. You know I love your work.

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by RoShin: Hope you are going to fix the fire extinguisher though. Looks like a suppository.

Hey RoShin! Good job on the spelling. I know you struggle with big words. Yep it does look kinda like a suppository! Perhaps you would like instructions on how to use one..... Although it appears a little large for normal folk...

Progress is going on slowly (my assistant modeller is a slack B@#$#%*) but I plan to continue this one to the finish (I know I said that with the last one) but this one is going somewhere I think.

the_jigu: Sorry forgot to explain that the set is the passage that the astronauts walk down after suiting up for the launch.

04 April 2005
Uh, sorry guys but it looks like this one is going to die a slow death too. Busy rendering architecturals in a effort to secure a new job Hopefully I can get back to it seriously for the weekend but not sure just yet.

It has been fun so far anyway. Thank you

04 April 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread