Farming Unit 2, G G (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2011   #16
cgCody: thank you I wasn't familiar with the book I'll have to check it out!
I suppose itís a similar idea, I thought about the farming unit as the life support area of a complex base built in a barren planet that humans were colonizing and terraforming.

ThE_JacO: thank you and thanks for pointing that out, it is indeed there for that extra storytelling (I thought about two mechanics in love skipping work to go sit in a quiet place) and for composition in fact I think it's still a little too heavy on the left. Probably adding a bit of light there as you suggest would balance it better and clarify the story, I often tend to just silhouette the extreme foreground to increase the sense of space.

Everlite: thank you I see what you mean with the perspective, after I fogged the area out it got a bit lost and itís hard to see but the lit element actually comes out and forward a bit I think thatís why itís giving that impression.

Zocsi: thank you! glad you checked the older one as I as was saying in the first post the concept is quite old, I can see plenty of faults and shortcomings and was tempted to remove it from the portfolio as itís not very representative anymore..but I still liked the concept so I thought Iíd upgrade it instead.
I definitely plan to continue developing the story and show other areas of the base, characters, vehicles etc!

Victorior: cheers and cheers to you!

Waheednasir, PavelPetrenko, RicoD, XB3rt, Felideus: thank you very much!

Old 02 February 2011   #17
I don't post often, but I want to let you know this picture made my day. Just beautiful!

Old 02 February 2011   #18
Oh..greatly concept , great view scaling and perspective on this piece. Wonderful!

Old 02 February 2011   #19
One of my favourite environmental pieces I have seen since last week hahaha. Terrific setup. a field of harvesting crops and machinery with beautiful natural light-sourcing. Leigh mentions Halo, I'd like to add the colour combinations remind me somewhat of Metroid Prime on Game-Cube.

Great effort, very inspiring.

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Old 02 February 2011   #20
amazing, great colors

Old 02 February 2011   #21
jac3d,LightSovereign,tonyzhang88,falker: thanks a lot!!

Old 02 February 2011   #22
Very nice.

Regards from one 'farmer' to another...

Gio-Orgos

Giorgos Chronopoulos

Art Director & Lead Artist
TALOS Creative
Creator of
The Talos Project

Old 02 February 2011   #23
This image has wonderful charm. I feel I could lay down in the prairie, only hearing the distant mumble of some agricultural machinery. It exhales an impressive feeling of quietness. Many thanks !

Though if it is supposed to be underground (I think it is), maybe a little bit more contrast would be welcome. I don't know what emits the light, whether it is the sunlight passing through holes in the ground or a glass canopy, or a completely artificial light designed to mimic the sun rays, but in all cases, I think the shadows should be a little stronger.

Of course if you consider this piece finished (and it is surely awesome as it is), don't bother !

Last edited by Mawh : 02 February 2011 at 06:44 AM.

Old 02 February 2011   #24
Originally Posted by Shardana: I Hope you like! your comments and critiques are always appreciated! ^^

Oh yeah? *Cracks fingers*
It's future fiction but not science fiction. If there was science to it, the greenery would be layered and lit artificially with red-blue diode lights, making the leaves appear black. Even if natural sunlight is available, solar panels are so much more efficient than electrolysis that if you have any need to save space and energy it pays to split up the light spectrum.

This is why you shouldn't let fact get in the way of fiction.

It is however beautiful art with a wonderful sense of openness and space. My only wish is that we'd see more of it, more details.

Old 02 February 2011   #25
Fantastic and original vision !
Bravo !

Old 02 February 2011   #26
I really like the mix of industrial and agricultural great work, also the sense of scale helps a lot.

Old 02 February 2011   #27
Yay

Absolutely stunning. very well done I just love the scale and your brush work.

Old 02 February 2011   #28
Very beautiful and interesting work and concept is just fabulous.

Old 02 February 2011   #29
GioChrono, Mawh, Ashaxan, SeifoSid, chipstick, AlexaSharlOt: thank you very much I really appreciate your comments and suggestions!!

nanicoar: thanks, you seem to know a lot about indoor growing!
the thought of lots of layers lit with artificial/UV light is very inspiring though, cheers!

Old 02 February 2011   #30
future strcuture, I like your art.

http://www.javierhmolina.blogspot.com

Thread Closed share thread