Farming Unit 2, G G (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2011   #1
Farming Unit 2, G G (2D)

Title: Farming Unit 2
Name: G G
Software: Photoshop

"Farming Unit" is one of my earlier concepts that even after quite a long time I still like,
yet its starting to feel a little old now so I thought I'd revisit it.

I Hope you like! your comments and critiques are always appreciated! ^^

Old 02 February 2011   #2
This is really cool! The sense of scale is really great, I love it when people paint stuff on such an enormous scale. My favourite part of the image is definitely the structure on the left though, it looks like something from the Halo universe, and I really love all the layers of structure within it. It almost reminds me a little of a Dune worm. Your brushes are really interesting too, the overall effect reminds me of painting with a sponge on paper. It's really unusual, and that wins you bonus points.

Front page.

Old 02 February 2011   #3
Great painting. The sense of scale and color palette is brilliant.

Old 02 February 2011   #4
Ah! Sci-fi... My favourite subject Great stuff

Old 02 February 2011   #5
oh wow!! wasnt expecting that! thanks so much Leigh you're too kind!

dyb3k, MartinNielsen: thanks a lot!

Old 02 February 2011   #6
I really dig this. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the image, was Rendezvous with Rama (Which I am a huge fan of). It's that feeling of a world existing inside a giant room/ship. Even those vehicles are vaguely reminiscent of the beetle-like biots that maintain the grass fields in the Rama ship.

Old 02 February 2011   #7
Lovely piece, the execution of the indoor farming idea is perfect, and the palette and composition are great.

I'm taken out of it a little bit by the bottom right insert. Compositionally I think it works great and gets you a nice symmetry with the top left, but the near-stencil quality of it when the rest of the piece is so well fleshed out clashes a bit, would have liked some texture or even a little bit of volume or off scene light coming into that black.

Old 02 February 2011   #8
Really nice concept, again to backup what others have said, the sense of scale really makes this piece work. The lighting and contrast between the fields and super structure work really well too.

One minor critique, the interior of the orb structure felt a little off with perspective when compared to the rest of the scene. I feel like the interior lit element should be more to screen left and slightly concealed behind the left wall of the entry. That said i have no idea what this is, so it may be exactly as you intended

Nice work!

Dave.

Old 02 February 2011   #9
Amazing idea!

This vast interior space is quite spectacular! I like the sense of scale as you put those human characters in the front lines, not to mention the harvesters... Also exciting how you mixing the retro-type sci-fi design with that spherical form - the latter is quite typical in shaping in this era of 2K, in my opinion. But here, they're living well together. And there is a pinch of fantasy mood in it if i'm watching the left parts right next to that orb - meaning those pin like structures, and the grayish colors. Interesting...

After checked the earlier work (didn't know that); I think there is a undeniable progress in concept in compare of your earlier farming unit. This is more clear-out, and scaled up, too. The former concept has more organic elements in shape of structures, what somehow reminds me a cool mixture of Cameron's Aliens and the later Dune Harkonnen designs... more darker in moods. Don't ask why...
Obviously your painting skills improved since then.

Long and short of it, this is a great-, inspiring work!! FP is well deserved, imho. I would really love to see more of this world, from other viewpoints or other aspects...
So, keep it up!

Old 02 February 2011   #10
Very great work! awesome design and love the scal! Congrats for the front page and you deserved award! Cheers and Cheers!

Old 02 February 2011   #11
beautiful piece of work! congratulations.
colors, depth, composition and a fine sense of scale is really well handled and so is the overall atmosphere of the place.
very well done Shardana...

my website;
www.waheednasir.com

Old 02 February 2011   #12
Beautiful work. Colors and design looks great.

Old 02 February 2011   #13
Really cool! Love the sci fi take on farming. I heard city farming / gardening is becoming the next big thing, so extra nice to see something like this. Cool brushwork too.
My blog

Old 02 February 2011   #14
wow, thats great!
fantastic concept!

Old 02 February 2011   #15
Great concept, love the textures

Thread Closed share thread