Go Away Clown, Jason Seiler (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2011   #61
Outstanding...

Old 01 January 2011   #62
No way
you have the hands of the gods
awesome work !

Old 01 January 2011   #63
Absolutely awesome I checked out the wips on your blog amazing dood.

Old 01 January 2011   #64
amazing work

5 star

keep on & good luck

Old 01 January 2011   #65
This is unreal Jason! you prove again you are the reason people come back to cg talk over and over again, just to see your posts here. I especially enjoy how skilled you are with rendering different type of materials and how you render the skin. Top class! Excellent quality. Rock on mate

Old 01 January 2011   #66
Oh My God , This is amazing , I shit myself ... - peeeeeeeople easy on the ass licks on these Forums !!!

Great work so far - Now add some lighting Creepier the better for this job in my humble opinion if it's meant to be nightmarish

Old 01 January 2011   #67
Also Make his head bigger and more looming over, with the hand too ... and 3 dimensional and less flat ... just thoughts .. good luck with it and keep going !!

Old 01 January 2011   #68
Would be cool if you mentioned the author of the clown mask.
This is the link to the guy who created the clown:
http://kosarteffects.deviantart.com...s/4536125&qo=68

Taking that much recognition and credit for something that is not 100% yours is

Old 01 January 2011   #69
Originally Posted by AIR: Would be cool if you mentioned the author of the clown mask.
This is the link to the guy who created the clown:
http://kosarteffects.deviantart.com...s/4536125&qo=68

Taking that much recognition and credit for something that is not 100% yours is

Hello Damir, first I would like to say that I checked out your work and thought it was pretty cool, nice stuff man. As for your comment, I would like to let you know that I have posted this link
http://jasonseilerillustration.blog...be-gone_13.html several times now on this forum. I've posted it because the art in this forum is not the final image as I accidentally posted the wrong image. The final image is what you see in the link above. You'll also notice in the link above that I give credit to Anthony for giving me permission to use the mask as a reference for my painting.

Now, so you know, Anthony happens to be a close friend of mine and yes, he designed the clown mask. He's an awesome artist. Your comment above comes across as if I have ripped off another artist and haven't given the credit where it is due. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

If you look at my painting, you can see that I used his clown for reference, but if you look even closer, you will see changes made to the clown as well . . . it is not entirely and exactly his mask. But even if it were, I have complete permission from "my friend" and I have in fact given him credit.

I could have created a completely different looking clown that looks nothing like what my friend created, but I didn't because I thought it would be cool to honor my friend and his work by featuring a bit of what he does into "my" art. He also thought this was cool. It's as if he has a small cameo in my film.
The clown is mostly based off my own face and expression and then mixed with Anthony's awesome mask.

Next time instead of assuming what you don't know and misleading others, you could write me an email.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Old 01 January 2011   #70
Thx for taking time to explain Jason, appreciate it!!
I apologize if my comment offended you, I wasn't going for that.

About your last thought, I dont feel I was misleading anybody, fact is that you forgot to credit Anthony here in this thread, in your initial post where the painting is, never mind the blog, and I commented on that.

Lastly, I really admire your work, I think you are insanely talented guy and you've definitely taken caricature to some new heights! Your works are in my "inspiring box" folder.

Old 01 January 2011   #71
Originally Posted by AIR: Thx for taking time to explain Jason, appreciate it!!
I apologize if my comment offended you, I wasn't going for that.

About your last thought, I dont feel I was misleading anybody, fact is that you forgot to credit Anthony here in this thread, in your initial post where the painting is, never mind the blog, and I commented on that.

Lastly, I really admire your work, I think you are insanely talented guy and you've definitely taken caricature to some new heights! Your works are in my "inspiring box" folder.

No worries mate, I just wanted to make sure you understood. The painting is my painting, I don't feel the need to post where my reference came from every time I post the art somewhere . . . I wasn't offended, just good to clear things up.

Old 01 January 2011   #72
The clown reminds me very much of Aphex Twin :P

Old 01 January 2011   #73
jason i became your fan man.
I read an interview on one website and learned a lot from that.

Old 02 February 2011   #74
it's great.

I've been wondering lately why so many digital artists are looking to create hyper-realistic art that is easily mistaken for photograph manipulation.

The artist has stated that there are no photo elements in this piece. But it isn't that anyone is doubting the artists' talents or skill, but is simply stating that this piece of art has a photgraphic appearance to it without any appearance of brushstrokes or a 'handpainted' look.

It's so good that it simply looks like Depp's head has been cut/pasted in and that the hands look like stretched/warped/liquified. We believe that this isn't the case but that is the *appearance* of this and why it looks like photos and not art. Just saying.

If I was Jason I'd work a little in "reverse" and show some painterly effects to his already awesome work, to give it that traditional and handpainted look. Add some chalk brushes, pastels, oils, watercolors, linework, etc. Right now only half the people looking at this are going to believe that it's created from a blank digital canvas as opposed to manipulating several photos and 'collaging' them in. That's how good it is but it somehow defeats the purpose of creating art if it looks like a photo, know what I mean?

The composition needs a bit of re-working, especially where the top of the chair seems to be interfering with the clown's face. Depps' hand covering his cheek needs more shadow along his face. The clown's lower hand needs to be moved further into the drawing or further out, just enough so the fingernails aren't running along Depp's sleeve. There needs to be shadows from this hand cast onto Depp's shirt. Depp's hands and arms need to be color-adjusted to match the tone of his face (this is one of the reasons it's looking like a collage). The chair is dark brown but has that oranage-tint to it under the clown's upper hand.. I would make the color all the same.

Those little nit-picks aside the rendering on this is a good 10/10. The realism in the faces is outstanding and I haven't seen much better from anyone when it comes to accurately digitally drawing/painting a face from scratch ( reference photo was definitely used but that of course has to be the case when drawing a portrait).

Bottom line is that I would tone down the photo-realism, make it a little more traditional-looking and you got yourself a masterpiece here my friend!!

Old 02 February 2011   #75
cooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llll job!

Thread Closed share thread