Robot Party [birthday], Imphead (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2003   #46
What I like best about all of these is that, aside from the retro design, they've "been around awhile". They're like well worn jeans and your favorite shoes. They all seem like old friends with each other as well as with the viewers.

Congratulations on making it to the Gallery.

Old 09 September 2003   #47
I love it!

Old 09 September 2003   #48
I really like the sence of humor put in every piece, great work!
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Old 09 September 2003   #49
Did you draw/scan first? or is this all from scratch?

Old 09 September 2003   #50
cool i love it

Old 09 September 2003   #51
Yeah, i have enjoyed these pictures for a while now. Whenever anyone asks me how to digitally color i send them to your "brain in a blender robot" tutorial. It's one of the best i've found.
imphead rules

Old 09 September 2003   #52
Truly inspirational and distinctive.
My favorite part is that these robots seem to have a purpose other than to stand around and look cool, it's like they have their own lives and we're just seeing a snapshot of it. I love images that make me try to figure out the story or situation behind them.

Keep up the great work!

Noxy

Old 09 September 2003   #53
Woah! The response to these has been overwhelming, once again thank you all who responded. I'd love to address each and every one of you personally but unfortunately I don't have that much time! So once again I'll summerize...

No I didn't intend the fish as a phallus... However that's not to say it's a faulty interpretation. Going on what I said before about art being a connection, and the viewer being an intregal part of that connection, I feel that to dictate to a viewer a message or meaning is not only lessening the viewer's role in the exchange but is also nigh-impossible. Everyone who looks at a piece art, be it mine or someone else's is different. They are literally the sum of their experiences mixed with their genetic disposition. Where one person sees a penis another will see a god, and a third simply a fish. My job as an artist is simply to plant the seed of a story or a concept, the job of the viewer is to make it grow.

As far as tutorials go I can't really give you black and white, step by step instructions on how to paint like me, not because it's some big secret, but simply because I'm not entirely sure how I do it myself. I paint by gut instinct. I do a rough pencil sketch and then tear into it with the digital paint. If something is "wrong" I push it around until it's "right". I can't teach stuff like that. What I can do however is give you a "in process" tutorial that shows various steps of completion in the hopes that it will spark some ideas on new ways to work in yourselves. Here's the address to a ten step "Work in Progress" I did of the Blendboy 2000 piece.

Blendboy 2000 work in progress

And lastly I'd like to give a couple of shout outs...

Bobby- Thanks for the welcome. Saw your "Ghost Hunter" piece in Expose, Congratulations! Shoot me an email sometime.

lildragon- I won a major award? Is it a house? The deed to a house? Italian? I'll get an email to you when I get a second to get the details on the images/gallery bit.

Kag122- Ah yes, there's always one in a crowd isn't there? Really now, did you bother to see if Jon knew about these images before screaming "wolf"? If you had you'd have learned that not only does Jon know AND approve of the work I do but we've been good friends for many, many years. In fact there's even a link from his site to mine. Furthermore, Jon wasn't the only inspiration for these images OR this style. Had you bothered to dig any further than the surface you'd have come up with the name Phil Hale, a brilliant artist who has been painting giant, retro robots for many more years than I OR Jon and who happens to be an ispiration to us both. Or Ashley Woods, who through sheer coincidence also developed a pill-headed robot, Popbot, completely on his own. And what about all those other inspirations that all of us, Phil, Jon, Ash, myself, and countless others have wallowed in from our childhood on? Metropolis? Robbie the Robot? Silent Running? Star Wars? Scud the Disposable Assasin? Did you ever even consider their influence? I honestly do appreciate your grass-roots fight against plagerism, but next time you bring a witch to the stake, maybe you should do a little research first to make sure they're not just another person in a pointy hat.

Brian

Last edited by imphead : 09 September 2003 at 11:57 PM.

Old 09 September 2003   #54
Quote: Originally posted by beej
its nice man. looks a lot like jon foster's work though...

http://www.jonfoster.com

And Jon's work is very reminiscent of Phil Hale's. Both however seem to have added their own personal style to it.

Beautiful work!!

Old 09 September 2003   #55
very cool, looks liek they could be part of an Iron Giant sequal

"3D is fun, Writing is life..."

Old 09 September 2003   #56
Talking

You catch the 3D essence. Very nice work
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
http://vimeo.com/18797985

Old 09 September 2003   #57
Love the surreal touches, like Dorethea Tanning. The robot thinks, comes across as determined and gentle and is imbedded in his world. Can't ask for more!

Old 09 September 2003   #58
imphead, You did really great jod here, I love them. I can imagine what are great animation movie will be if you bring your design and idea about robert into it. Keeep going, and i will look foward about your more works.
Weeeeell done.

Old 09 September 2003   #59
I recoqnized these the moment I saw them here. There's such a unique style to your renders that it makes me wanna model them and see them move I love your choice of colors, sense of mood and especially the subjects. There are odd, but in a damn good way!

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Awespiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - which you are now placed

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Old 07 July 2004   #60
you should have one of the other two illustrations as the gallery image! I don't get the birthday one. or at least, I don't dig it half as much as the other two.

Thread Closed share thread