Stronghold, Dmitry Dubinsky (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2010
Smile Amazing

Reminds me the book of DUNE

07 July 2010
Congratz ! I really feel the deepness in your illustration, I love the color choice and the details. Clouds are painted with a lot of talent.

07 July 2010
Love the mood and the paint feeling.
Well done.

07 July 2010
Wow! This piece has the colonization spirit within. Reminds me Stanislav Lem's Invincible. Congrats!

07 July 2010
Hi, I'll second Leigh's thoughts (if that's ok). I also would like to say the foreground of the rocks seem to scale to large or maybe it is the rock(photo?) is so close that the painted parts scale doesn't correspond with the rocks details...

Otherwise I love the way you worked the background and atmosphere... I can imagine coming over a ridge on this distant world, the wind blowing grit in my face, my mouth dry from the lack of moisture, I find myself stopping to stand still and look in awe at the size of the stronghold and how it stands majestically next to the worlds and clouds in the sky...

Last item...so does this Stronghold have a pub? My imagine has walked a long ways in your world and I find myself quite thirsty at the moment...

~Mike

Originally Posted by leigh: I love the retro feeling you managed to capture here - the colour palette and design really harkens to a classic era of science fiction artwork that I have always really enjoyed. I do think you could have incorporated the rock photo a little more into the image, as there is a noticeable contrast between your own painting and the photo (the black details, in particular, should have been removed or recoloured), but despite this, I think the image still works quite nicely. I really love your use of the pale pinks and purples in the sky, set against the stronger tones of the foreground. Your design reminds me a little of some of the stuff in the last Star Trek film, which had great art direction, so that's a good thing.

A bit more work would have improved this, and perhaps you may still decide to work on the rock a little more, but I like your piece anyway simply because of the classic retro feel. I can totally imagine this as a cover to a 1950's sci fi epic that no-one has ever heard of.

07 July 2010
hi, this is truely a master piece. love the coloring and the idea. perhapse u could put more effort to make the photo and the painting more indistinguishable.

08 August 2010
Smile haha

good,i like it.

08 August 2010
I like your picture very much, the sci-fi architecture is very nice cooperating with the nature parts of picture. However colour tone and the heaven effect are awesome.

http://www.environment-textures.com/?ref=soc32

08 August 2010
Brilliant picture! I love your imagination. Amazing atmosphere and colors! Grats!

08 August 2010
irwigb, kaparo You are right, i tried to reach some imperial retro style. And by the way - Frank Herbert and Stanislav Lem are my favorite Sci-Fi writers (and Strugatsky brothers, recommend to everyone )
mike33 Thank you for criticism. Such detailed remarks are very useful, it really helps to increase my skills! Glad that you so imbued by picture) What about pub - sure yes. 87th tier at the west sector of tower you can find awesome pub "Sand Duke" - the best place on a whole planet!

08 August 2010
matte

I think that the photo part is easily noticeable so I think you should've better finished the illustration as an illustration and not add the photo part. I like the illustration very much because you're very good, actually the photo part of it is the only thing that doesn't quite look right. Awesome work.

08 August 2010
I like this image it has a nice feel to it

08 August 2010
Great stuff.

08 August 2010
All in All it is very beutyfull picture. starting from the technical part of job to the finished work )

09 September 2010
Thumbs up Amazing...

This is amazing composition! The sky... orientation of the moons... landscape... all great!

Only one thing that I can see that would have made this spectacular in my opinion.

It appears that the rocks in the foreground have more of a "distance haze" than the focal point... the building. I would just add a bit more of a distance haze to the main focal area. This would seem to increase the size of the construction and add a little more depth to the picture. I think it would add a touch of "grandure" to the entire scene.

Great work Dmitry! I am envious of your talent!

Thread Closed share thread