Launch Day, Stanley Von Medvey (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2010   #16
I love the scene. The lighting is really awesome

Old 07 July 2010   #17
Love your style. Awesome art. Well done!

Old 07 July 2010   #18
congratulations... strong work.

my website;
www.waheednasir.com

Old 07 July 2010   #19
well done , love this work

Old 07 July 2010   #20
Really excellent work. The lighting and the mood make me almost smell the place!

Old 07 July 2010   #21
Wouldnt those be the rocket designers at center stage if the world was science centered?
Great color pallete and execution.

Old 07 July 2010   #22
great style and perspective
i like the colors .

Old 07 July 2010   #23
Nice illustration.

About the imposing wall:
The dark wall looks out of place (from my perspective) because it enhances the fact that the entire building structure is compositionally out of place, being too far to the right. I think interrupting the continuity of the archway, by cropping it off on the right, was a compositional mistake. Continuing the arch would coral the eye comfortably inside the image frame while at the same time it would create a secondary frame around and enhance the goal of the image—the rocket in the bg. Pulling the architecture to the left a little would allow the curvilinear vertical lines on the right to renforce the buildings monumental perspective. I think the dark muted wall is a good element, strengthening the rich color and contrasts of the foreground subjects by not distracting away from them. To fix the wall as is, I would simply add another red streamer across it, diagonally pointing toward the rocket.

I would also add a little more drama to the illumination of the rocket—brighter sun at the top terminated by a soft cloud shadow running diagonally across the bottom.

Last edited by Quadart : 07 July 2010 at 10:23 PM.

Old 07 July 2010   #24
Thank you CGSociety for putting me in your choice gallery! I don't know how much I deserve it but it's something I've always hoped for, so you made a humble artist's dream come true! Thank you!!!

leigh, Lunatique, and Quadart are absolutely right about the wall, I wish I had given it more thought/attention, it's one of those big things that escaped me for some reason, perhaps because I was so caught up in thinking about the crowd. I want to do another crowd scene, maybe fewer people, and pay more attention to the composition of the environment.

Thanks to all three of you for the focused, useful, and necessary critique, it is tremendously appreciated

And thank you to everyone else for liking this piece so much! It means a lot to me! SoloyuOminageeshi, that song is AWESOME.

My Website!

Our Studio!

Old 07 July 2010   #25
Loving the colors, light and all those different crowdmembers!
My blog

Old 07 July 2010   #26
Congratz for the Cg award ! as I already commented , I can only say this :

Old 07 July 2010   #27
Beautiful atmosphere and great composition, I really like the people hanging off the bridge on the top right, sends us right back to the focus of the picture but yet it serves as a great little distraction.

Old 08 August 2010   #28
Perfect mood, awesome lighting.
Congrats.

Old 08 August 2010   #29
Great composition. I love the lightning. Very great work! Congrats.

Old 08 August 2010   #30
my d000d!

SVM, congrats on cgtalk front page man! I'm really happy with how this painting turned out. Watching it evolve into the final product was a pleasure, you should definitely post more wip threads bro!

congrats again!

Youtube

Thread Closed share thread