3324 North California, Jason Seiler (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
I find it amazing you did this in photoshop! You really have to look hard to tell its not a photo.. It is some of the best work I have ever seen.

04 April 2010
Thank you all so much . . . yes, I work in photoshop when I paint digitally. Sometimes I'll do my sketching with Sketchbook Pro. I don't know how to use any other programs . . . and with Photoshop, all I use is the paint brush tool and layers . . . that is pretty much it. It's all about getting the values to look right, that's my main focus! Thank you all so much!

04 April 2010
Ha! This was probably just an ordinary photo but you used it to make a really realistic and cool painting.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by Eomer41: Ha! This was probably just an ordinary photo but you used it to make a really realistic and cool painting.

No, I actually used many different references and angles and pictures of people and put it all together . . . my references were pretty bad too . . . because there was so much light coming in from outside, everything was in shadow . . . it was really difficult to get something out of the references. That is one of the reasons it took me so long.

04 April 2010
(My Opinion) it is manipulated photo, very clear.

sorry friend.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by FlaminGlow: (My Opinion) it is manipulated photo, very clear.

sorry friend.

Sorry, but you are wrong . . .

04 April 2010
http://www.markevansart.com

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by Jason-Seiler: No, I actually used many different references and angles and pictures of people and put it all together . . . my references were pretty bad too . . . because there was so much light coming in from outside, everything was in shadow . . . it was really difficult to get something out of the references. That is one of the reasons it took me so long.

Ok. Those reference photos probably helped a little bit with the lighting and coloring... It turned out really good and I can see how it could be mistaken for a photo. Some cameras can capture an image like this.

I think you did indeed paint this. Thanks for sharing the process: http://www.richardsolomon.com/artis...m?p=3&a=process

Thanks for sharing your artwork on CGTalk.

Last edited by Eomer41 : 04 April 2010 at 04:18 AM.

04 April 2010
i cant believe what my eyes just saw, this piece is amazing!!!

04 April 2010
Awesome work! Unbelievable!

04 April 2010
Not that it really needs to be said, but that is some pretty awesome work. I honestly first looked at the thumbnail and thought that it had just been a caricaturized photo. Absolutely great.

Originally Posted by Jason-Seiler: all I use is the paint brush tool and layers . . . that is pretty much it.
It's amazing how, when you're a great traditional artist, as I assume you must be from what I've read, you don't need any fancy brushes or to know manipulation tools in your software. For the life of me, there's no way I could currently paint something like this.

... Although I think that using a Cintiq would probably help me out a little bit. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though.

Again, great work. I'm gonna have to look up your other work now, too. I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

04 April 2010
Very nice done. I like the concentrated expression in the old mans face. Nice amd calmly atmosphare and funny together.

Me seems only the old mans hand too small.

http://www.human-anatomy-for-artist.com/

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by anezka: Very nice done. I like the concentrated expression in the old mans face. Nice amd calmly atmosphare and funny together.

Me seems only the old mans hand too small.

http://www.human-anatomy-for-artist.com/

Thank you all so much . . . yes, painting like this is not easy, and takes a lot of focus, and a lot of time.

And as far as you feeling the hand is too small . . . that is fine with me, I welcome your thoughts and opinions, but in this type of work, I allow myself the freedom to exaggerate, push and pull features, structure and anatomy as well as surrounding elements . . . to my liking. The man doesn't have large hands . . . that's the way I wanted it . . . I enjoy working this way, drawing realistic proportions for me is not as much fun and less expressive . . . if you look at my work as a whole, I think you will understand what I'm saying here.
As always, thank you for your comments.

04 April 2010
Very Real , good job.

04 April 2010
immediately recognized hot dougs... great stuff. you did a good job of taking away the sense of lunchtime claustrophobia from the real place =P

my old coworkers from midway still drop me lines once in a while letting me know when the mountain man is back on the menu... sigh!

Thread Closed share thread