Netherworld Archipelago - the Capital, Jesse van Dijk (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
Great feeling of scale! Lovely work, detailed but economical- if you see what i mean

12 December 2009
Many thanks for the comments everyone, very much appreciated!!

Galentoh>> cheers mate, good to hear it!

ChrisPeterPan>> thanks! Yep, it's all photoshop. I do frequently use rough 3d geometry as a start to paint over, but not in this case.

And lastly merry christmas and best wishes for 2010 everybody!

Cheers,
Jesse

01 January 2010
Thumbs up

Hello. Fantastic work. I really enjoy the sense of depth and scale. The lighting on the the uppermost tiers is well done too. I only have one piece of constructive criticism... The bridge on the lower left throws off my sense of scale for the buildings. I envision the bridge to be something like a "2 lane" bridge of sorts, which would make the average person extremely small. But the size of the buildings indicates to me that either the structures are huge....massively huge, or the bridge is too small. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to amend this. In every other aspect... top notch work, from color to detail to atmosphere.

01 January 2010
nice

very nice good luck

01 January 2010
Dear Jesse van Dijk! Some time ago I thought about such a city. I expected to hang it in a huge cave on the huge chains. Maybe this idea will be useful for you.
How difficult to develop such architecture that would express architecture of another world! We are always in the bounds of existing styles. I spent a few years, but could not come to styles that would not exist on Earth. As rules fantastic buildings have a cupola of the XIX-century-eclectic-style...

01 January 2010
Beter dan gelijk wat ik ooit gedaan heb, vet.

But something makes the city look like a miniature. Maybe is the texture in the rocks or the angle of the 'camera', or maybe it's just me?

groeten uit den belgique

01 January 2010
I first saw your image in the Digital Masters.. painting techniques book..
very awe inspiring work.. thanks

02 February 2010
I can almost feel the atmosphere, well done indeed!

03 March 2010
Smile

very nice work

03 March 2010
Cool Superb!

Totally of a different level.

05 May 2010
Whoah.... this is incredible!
I love to colour palette, the feel of monumental of the city...

Amazing!

10 October 2010
very Fantastic , i like it very much ,tks

Adarc Design Co.,Ltd
A professional 3D image company

www.adarc.net

info@adarc.net

02 February 2011
Suggestion

What I liked:

1) The use of crenulated walls only on the upper ramparts. Makes the base seem more austere and foreboding.

2) The use of differing architectural elements to denote social standing; The lower levels in a simple medieval style and then progressing into Gothic ornamentation at the crown.

3) All of your work demonstrates exceptional understanding of scale and lighting ( 'Hidden valley' for example).

What I wanted to see:

1) More signs of life: We see some twinkling lights, and that's it. No fires, no boats, only a few scant lamps (Most lights emanate from within dwellings). How do these people communicate with people in other cities? How do they cook their food? What is their food? How do they go about their day?

2) Where am I? I know that sounds stupid but I mean it literally: From where am I viewing this city? I seem to be on a rocky tunnel wall, exactly in the center of the picture. But why am I there? Who am I, viewing the city like this? I want to be inside this world you created, not just viewing it from afar. Let's take ' Hidden Valley' for example: in that rendering I feel as though I'm a traveler that has just stepped out from a cleft in the rock and am greeted with this resplendent scene. I can see the path I'm on as it meanders off to the left and this minor detail gives me, the viewer, a sense of belonging. I feel a part of the world, not apart from it.

A suggestion: What if you redrew it from the level of the water? (Perhaps from the bow of a boat, or vessel?) I think it would make the stratified city seem grander, and would give the viewer a sense of being there.

I know all this sounds nit picky (And it is) but you're so very close to being brilliant; as it is, you're merely great.

Thread Closed share thread