Rain Forest, Philipstraub (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
i've been using photoshop for a long long time...have a wacom graphire 2 tablet for about half a year now and i'm still mystified as how you can make that out of photoshop/painter. maybe you could point me in the right direction? the image is totally awesome. gj

08 August 2003
really really nice. i can see the disney influence you were talking about, kinda looks like something out of tarzan

08 August 2003
jadedchron: Glad you like it, thank you!

Basically I approach a digital painting the same way I approach a traditional one. Applying the fundamentals; composition, perspective, value structure, color theory, lighting and visual storytelling.

Everyone does work different in Photoshop and Painter. I tend to do a bunch of grayscale sketches....dealing with form, shape and composition first until I come up with the basic shapes and lighting that I like. Depending on the subject matter I may fake the lighting a bit for the desired effect (which I did in this painting). Then I usually do a color sketch trying to figure out the overall mood of the piece. This can be determined by what the image is being used for or what kind of action is occuring in the background (in the case of an animation background). I choose an overall color theme and then I go back to the drawing and begin refining it. Once the drawing is tight enough and seems fairly pleasing I begin blocking in the color from the color sketch. In Photoshop I tend to build everything up from the background to the foreground starting with the things farthest away from the viewer. I also put everything in layers so I can easily update and change things later. I use the opacity controls of the brushes in Photoshop constantly to slowly build up the color and texture of objects. I also have quite a few custom brushes I've created over the years to create things like bark, leaves, grass etc. I ususally will bring the image into painter towards the mid-point of its creation and add some natural media touches and custom nozzles I've created for organic type things like foliage. Once I'm happy I move back into Photoshop and begin really refining the painting ..adding the finer textures and details. I also begin defining the drama of the piece further by adding the lightest light and darkest dark to really create a focal point to the piece. Finally I might add an adjustment layer with some layer mask to push and pull some values and hue saturation to further define the light and focal point.
There's somewhat of an explanation for how I work...it is different each time but I do tend to follow this procedure pretty closely...I hope it helps

Phil

Last edited by Philipstraub : 08 August 2003 at 06:31 AM.

08 August 2003
Cool! And i was looking for a new desktop these days!

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

08 August 2003
buetiful stuff

asela

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=31&t=797798

08 August 2003
wow that is great. thanks for sharing your thoughts. i really appreciate it. going to go mess with some brushes once again and see what happens

08 August 2003
awesome jadechron..I look forward to seeing what yo come up with!

08 August 2003
Walk to the left, then use the oars on the holes in the trees!

08 August 2003
NOW THERE'S TALENT !!!!

Painter rocks and people who can really use it are..ummm.. rockier (?)

is this game?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ance&s=software

08 August 2003
Reminds me of the work by Thomas Moran and Fredrick Edwin Church.

08 August 2003
wow its beutifull

08 August 2003
very pretty, reminds me of hte legend of Kyrandia series...with more of a tropical foliage though...

08 August 2003
Quote: A painting for a children's CD Rom game.

Ahh to be a kid again... They never really had cdrom games when i was younger, only started having them when I was about 14, and they were never of this quality. Excellent!

Silverchair - Diorama

08 August 2003
ey... very very cool stuff

08 August 2003
Excellent work!
My sister saw it also and said it was awesome!
I would love to be able to do stuff like this in the future, the mood is fantastic, and the scene is definetely Disneyish in some aspects. It looks very much like the style used in The Emperor's new groove..
A Wacom for christmas I hope!

Jimzip

Last edited by Jimzip : 08 August 2003 at 09:45 AM.

Thread Closed share thread