Rain Forest, Philipstraub (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
2D illustration: Environment

A painting for a children's CD Rom game. Photoshop 7 and Painter 7 used. Some custom nozzles made for this one.
I was the Lead Background Artist on this project and was able to convince my boss that we could do some disney style backgrounds for the product. Fun stuff!
Painting by me, Layout by me and Paul Pham.
Copyright Vivendi Universal Games

08 August 2003
Wow, that's incredible! Looks like something straight out of Disney's Tarzan! I really like how the color changes to blue in the background. Top notch!

08 August 2003
Kredepops: Thanks...There is actually some reasoning behinfd the transition of color in the background. This background is actually 4 screens that panned up and down and left to right. I tried to make each screen have a slightly different feel while mantaining a pleasing look to the image as a whole.

Phil

08 August 2003
Wow
I love the colours!!

08 August 2003
Thanks Aelius!

08 August 2003
it is cool!! the lighting ( this word id quite weird to use in 2d artwork :P ) is really cool!
any other stuff??

08 August 2003
Good pic u got there, like the lightning in the bg, and the moss that hangs on the trees are really lovely.
Are the game released, and the title? If it´s possible to look at some more enviromentpics?
Looked at your sajt, lots of amazing work u got there!!!!

Last edited by nina : 08 August 2003 at 09:07 PM.

08 August 2003
Nina: Thanks...glad you like it! The game has been released..it's called Jumpstart Animals through VU games. I'll post more soon.

This image actually got into the Expose book so you can see it in high rez if you buy the book.

08 August 2003
wooooooooooooooooooooow!
cooooooooooooooooooool!
good job

08 August 2003
Thanks Arab Queen!

08 August 2003
Wow! Great stuff. It's beautiful. The feel of the scene makes me think of an old game called The Black Cauldron... used to play it a lot when I was younger (yeah, it's been A WHILE). There have been many games since, but your imagery makes me think of the whimsy mixed with danger associated with TBC. Funny how stuff takes you back. Wish you had some progression stills available so we could see the process.

Kudos.

- A

08 August 2003
Phillipstraub, nice job. it looks very much like your hopes for the picture. very disney-like. could you give a time frame on this perhaaps.

08 August 2003
Beautiful job!
One comment I have:
The tree in the center/right foreground ... the leaves you brushed (I'm assuming from a pattern that you made) ... I would reccomend darkening either the layer that those pattern-like leaves are on or your leaf pattern itself... the former being easier. That way the leaf pattern wouldn't stick out so much.
Other than that Very Well Done!!
Very solid vegetation... and I know that's hard to do!
Nice image! Saved!

08 August 2003
amo_77: Yeh man...the black cauldron was awesome. I definetly take that as a compliment! I unfortunately don't have any progression stills avaliable at this time. I'll tell you what I will do...I'm gearing up to do another image along thease lines and I will save the progression for future use..deal?? I'm also going to post some other tutorials on my website so please check back when you can.

danb: Thanks! Time frame was about 4 working days give or take a day. I would work on it here and there in between doing other stuff.

Thanks david Singha!

Thread Closed share thread