Slumscraper, Duc Truong Huyen (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2009
hi
its nice job and great perspective but there is really nice ,on your self.

09 September 2009
I don't know...I can't understand it. I can't understand where is photos and where is paint. I think that if you create this art using traditional media (for example oil colours) you can do realy a great art. Using Pohotoshop I don't know all is too digital. But this is only my stupid opinion, all people say it is great so...

Primates do it better

09 September 2009
Ah, talk about traditional or digital, I don't want to start a war here, but I can say I'm very confident about my skills in traditional field, since I'm final-year student in art-school. So digital is just a medium, the thing really matter is vision, and that's something I polish everyday.

09 September 2009
Yes...
My question is: is this image a paint or a photo changed using photoshop?
Prospective, colours, concept are based on hand made ore are based on photo?
This for me could be important paint and photo are different...I think.

Primates do it better

09 September 2009
Fantastic work, sir! Please consider selling prints on deviantart.com. Would buy and frame in a heartbeat !

09 September 2009
Ok, this is my workflow.

First is the research progress:
- I came to the actual site in my city, take alots of pictures for research and reference, and draw some sketches in my sketch book (learned this from great Feng Zhu), I even recorded some ambient sounds.
- I also watched some movies have familiar scene: Slumdog Millionaire, District 9 and also Alive in Joburg. Some scenes in Half-Life 2 gimme the inspiration too.

Second, developing progress:
- Based on my sketchbook, I developed some greyscale thumbnails and decided go for vertical composition (since I like my previous painting FEAR, please look in my portfolio).
- After that, base on my greyscale thumbnail, I paint and colorize the whole composition, some building element is from my architecture design drawing in school. Since I gathered a lots of reference pictures, I have a strong foundation what I'm painting.
- I also have some texture brushes collection which is very good asset for urban painting. (some of them are from Vyle and Zhu Zhu)

Finally, touching up progress:

- I overlay some photo elements for deeper sense in texture (some of them is just a dash of watercolour or picture of my cardboard model, or even another skeches scanned from my artbook - they make very unpredictable textures, the rest is from references I took before). I also need some "international" meaning in the scene so I google for reference misc. additional billboard in Latin and Asian languages and add them in.
- Lots of colors masking and sharpness, contrast layers... for enhancing lighting.

So fundamentally, is this a painting, I say yes, photo reference is at first a guide line then a "trick" to finalize my artwork, make them more appealing. Without them I hardly can finish my artwork to this level, but it doesn't mean I depend my life on them.

Hope this will answer your question, if you still concern, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by fxEVo : 09 September 2009 at 04:51 PM.

09 September 2009
Hi,

this great image reminds me of cyberpunk. A real great image. Thanks for sharing.
M.

09 September 2009
Great to see the workflow; its actually very inspiring to see how an image came about (I hope more artists include that in their posts). The actual piece is beautiful - a sort of cyberpunk futurisation of a modern slum. The details are wonderful and the whole image has a really tangible feel to it.

What an excellent idea to record the sounds while you are there! It must really help draw out the sense of atmosphere you had while you are working. Personally, I find atmospheric or ambient sounds and music really vital for my work to keep my mind focused on the atmosphere I want to create, but I've never recorded sounds myself, thanks for the idea!

Fantastic work!

09 September 2009
Excellent work! I've only been to HCMC for a little bit but this really captures some of the feel. Thanks for sharing.

09 September 2009
Great! Now I have understand. Sorry but I think that for this complex art is important know something about workflow. I think that your art is different and could be a good step for a new path in digital art.
Thank for sharing your ideas.

Primates do it better

09 September 2009
Thumbs up

I like it !

09 September 2009
wow that's really cool. the scene could be used in a movie...i like it very much

09 September 2009
Wow... what a amazing work, man!

Congratulations!

09 September 2009
I absolutely LOVE this piece. I've always been fascinated by gritty, slum-like imagery and this piece really just does it for me.

10 October 2009
great textural feel in this piece and great mood too.

Thread Closed share thread