Songs Under The Apple Tree, Enayla (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
for us who can't see the pic in the original post here's a mirror (I think, I still don't know what it should look like, but i guess its this image judging by the thumb )

08 August 2003
Question

I wish there was a section when the artists post their work that described what media they used. Please tell us is this done on canvas or painted using a digital paint program?

08 August 2003
Oi, oh dear, thank you so much, everyone :}

Answering a few questions about the painting:
As with nearly all of my work, this is part Painter 7, and part Photoshop 7. There are some things I can't seem to be able to paint in one program, and some I can't paint in the other, so I always find myself shifting. The resolution is pretty big - if you check the eye I attached, then you'll see how big the image actually is :)

The grass, is painted partly by using a small brush set on opacity - part by opening another document and painting strands of grass using the marquee tool and a brush, and then shrinking them to size - it was quite the task.

I have used a model for this one - my good friend Ulrika who posed for the pictures right outside my flat, with a playground in the background. She's asked me not to display the photos online so I won't - but I might as well say that the foot is pretty highly referenced because I suck at painting feet and the main reason I took references at all was to learn the feet thing, whereas her face isn't referenced at all, and her body is partly referenced. It varies throughout the image :)

Lessee... were there any more questions? I'll try to soften the shadow of the leaves, I promise I will :) Tonight sometime when I'm feeling a little better, if I have the time :) I'm sorry about my host being stubborn and the picture not showing for everyone - and thank you so much for mirroring it (mwah to you!).

And, yes - I'm from Sweden. I'm a girl. I turn 26 the fifth of September so send me a birthday card ;D (just kidding).

Linda.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye.jpg (15.1 KB, 675 views)

08 August 2003
http://www.gfxartist.com/community/elite_gallery/26499

Okay - if you're having problems seeing it, go there. I'm afraid I only have one host and it doesn't seem to work for everyone, arr :/

08 August 2003
I've browsed through your gallery before, and I must say that this is one of your best work. You've truly outdone yourself, and most other digital painters too for that matter.

You've really nailed that archetypical fairy tale look that gives the viewer the sense of being inside, but at the same time looking at something completely detatched from this world. It's hard to describe, but there is the feeling that "this is what fairy tales look like, I just didn't realise until I saw this".

You've even got that Arwen serenity in the fairy (or maybe your friend/model simply looks like Liv Tyler ).

Typically enough, the one thing I was gonna crit was the sharp shadows from the leaves on her skin, but someone has already pointed that out.

Just curious about one thing: does it help to live in Norrland when painting these kinds of subjects? I mean, given the amazing outdoors you have up there?

Good luck finishing it.

|edit| PS. By the way, the image was a great way to cure my sunday hangover |/edit|

Last edited by AndersEgleus : 08 August 2003 at 01:07 PM.

08 August 2003
she looks a little bit like liv tyler!

08 August 2003
This is one of these pictures which tell more than a 1000 words ever can.

08 August 2003
Finally saw it... what can I say.. absolutely gorgeous. All the detail is very impressive and the foreground is almost a photo. There are lots of parts which I can distinguish (sp?) from a real picture... oh and I love the colors too.

08 August 2003
Aw, thanks :D I'm glad to hear the colours are appreciated, too - it's funny, because though I was feeling very pleased about the colours, I've received several comments strongly disliking them. I was aiming for a late summer kind of colour scheme - before the autumn really hits full on, but after the strong green overlay of vegetation has slowly started to turn yellow.

She's also wearing apple blossoms in her hair - a small detail I'm pretty happy with :) I thank my friend Kristoffer for that idea.

Anders -- thanks for your thoughtful comment :) I will try to fix the shadows on her. As for living in Norrland... oh yes, it helps. The image I did before this one (called "do not whisper into the wind") had a background I later realised was really similar to the hills right nearby my parents' house outside a small town a little further into Sweden. I hadn't even known I was painting that, when I painted it, but when I went there last weekend I recognised it immediately :) It's great how the mind works like that. Very tricky.

This background is mostly inspired by a place I used to go to when I was little. It was right next to a lake and had birches and other trees spilling their leaves just like this, across the water... with a calm, placid reflection just like a mirror. I miss that place.

And I prattle too much, again. Pardon me.

08 August 2003
WoW. Very Nice work !! nice Songs under the apple tree

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Enayla
I have used a model for this one (...) I might as well say that the foot is pretty highly referenced

Ah I was wondering. That foot looks utterly awesome. The detail that made me think you used a model.

After having looked at your site, I can say that among plenty beautiful pictures this is one of the best.

I also agree that the colour scheme is totally magical and also tickles my childhood memories.

08 August 2003
em, cool!
"L"constrution, blue & orange contrast, the beautiful background, and the quiet character with two motion birds. yes! how nice the composition.

I like!

Thread Closed share thread