Wen-kido-yin, Olijosman (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2003
with that package of his, he wont be having trouble looking for girlfriends

07 July 2003
Well, it did make the front page. The head is a little too big but does work well with the overall look. Nice illustrative style on the gloves and hands even though you chose not to paint most of the fingers. The waist down has an Otomo feel to it and the boots are great however it is hard to see the lower part of 'em as there is not enough contrast from the backround. Nice work! (Now that is a proper crit).

07 July 2003
i do believe hes holding his sword backwards? unless hes using a baka sword like kenshin. :P

07 July 2003
Hi olijosman!

Your work really dererve the fornt page again!! Your work really impresses me!You lighthing reminds me some Hudson River school artists! Can I ask you something? How many layers you used in Photoshop for this work? What model of tabletdo you used? Sorry about these questions!! Your works are awesome!!

Dont worry about some no balanced comments! Theese comments should to make you improve (is that possible? heheh).

BLOG

Available for Freelance Work

07 July 2003
Hi Mobra, I use aprox 6, 7 layers. one for the color, another one for the sky and others for the glows and details.
I work wiht intuos wacom tablet, I love it!! thanks for all!!

07 July 2003
I didn't notice anything being out of porportion the only thing that bothered me was that it REALLY REALLY looks like Lisa Marie Presley. In fact I couldn't stop staring at the head. I thought that was what it was when I saw it on the front page. Kinda made me laugh, is she going after the media with that sword? Or Michael?

Your techniques are awesome though! I think if you need to just work on porportion that it's small in comparision to the skills and talent you have down already.

07 July 2003
i perfectly agree with hookflash...

and malcolm... maybe he's too mentally weak, maybe you're right... but his friend have been completely unsensitive, and show no respect from a friend's work...

people should always encourage each other, and have some respect... i can tell you: "your work is horrible, but i know that doing THIS and THIS you could be better" and not simply "your work is horrible"

----------------------------

olijosman, i loved your work, the lighting is awesome and all other technical stuff, but i simply love the design of the char (the gloved hands and the sword is superb)

hey chewy... for the proportions and the cartoon style... i think this char works very well with cartoon style... maybe you forget Bill Fleming's Living Toons (and we are all Bill's son)

cartoons are no more simple shading, big eyes and big mouth...

07 July 2003
are judges sensitive when they announce the winner of a contest? I'm not saying this is a contest, but cmon. People want sensitivity too much these days. Society needs to learn how to take some good hard criticism and stop wanting everyone to sugar coat everything. I agree, if you took your "friends" critique that harshly, maybe you're in the wrong field.

Leave the sensitivty off of an art forum for now, it has no place here. If you want someone to tell you everything you do is wonderful and perfect, where is the incentive to do better? You could probably always go show the picture to mom or dad and they'll pin it up on the refrigerator, but I'd rather have someone tell me my work sucks than lie and say its great.

Just my 2 cents...

p.s. none of this is towards you olijo, I stand by that the overall picture is great, there are just some parts that seem off.

07 July 2003
I sort of like this and sort of don't.

He looks a bit creepy to me, since there's no real clue as who he is or what he's going to do with that sword. There's no story to him- if that makes sense. He kind of looks "generic" for want of a better word. Like there could be millions more of him - futuristic upity middle-class kids rebelling against their wealthy upbringing, determined to prove their manhood in a cosy, pampered existence. But maybe that's the point?

He looks angry at someone, but he's got no scars, no experience in his face to justify the glare, which leads me to assume that he's angry at his life - for being a nobody. He's eager to get out there and do some damage, make his impression on the world.

Well, that's my personal interpretation.

I agree with Chewey (though I'd maybe have been a bit less bitchy about it) - it's too cartoony to be realistic, and too realistic to be cartoon. But I'd add that in doing that, you've found a niche of your own there. Not sure I'm comfortable with it yet, but you know, that's just me - personal preference.

Either way, beautiful photoshop work from a craftsman's point of view. Well done!

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Viper3d
are judges sensitive when they announce the winner of a contest? I'm not saying this is a contest, but cmon. People want sensitivity too much these days. Society needs to learn how to take some good hard criticism and stop wanting everyone to sugar coat everything. I agree, if you took your "friends" critique that harshly, maybe you're in the wrong field.

Leave the sensitivty off of an art forum for now, it has no place here. If you want someone to tell you everything you do is wonderful and perfect, where is the incentive to do better? You could probably always go show the picture to mom or dad and they'll pin it up on the refrigerator, but I'd rather have someone tell me my work sucks than lie and say its great.

Just my 2 cents...

p.s. none of this is towards you olijo, I stand by that the overall picture is great, there are just some parts that seem off.

are you joking at me or wath?!?!? CAN YOU READ MY POOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE???

i never said that i take bad when my friends critic me bad... i just said i never speak bad with somebody... maybe what he did is horrible, i critic, but with some respect for the work he did

and most of all in this special case, where the posted work is absolutely fantastic... and i don't think you could be lot better... just critic what is wrong (without saying what is beautiful) is not correct for me....

If you want someone to tell you everything you do is wonderful and perfect, where is the incentive to do better?

who said this??? nobody here said this... u r a little (completely?) stupid... if you read this

Leave the sensitivty off of an art forum for now, it has no place here.

Leave sensitivity off of an art forum???? and if not in art where should i apply mi sensitivity??? in mathematics and engineering???

cya man

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by panta
people should always encourage each other, and have some respect... i can tell you: "your work is horrible, but i know that doing THIS and THIS you could be better" and not simply "your work is horrible"

i quote myself for some people have problems reading here...

07 July 2003
It's a very nice piece of work.
I care very little for the comments made by some, especially when
your work has managed to get up on the header board at CGTALK.
It should be a moment to celebrate. Shame some people have to give you a bucket of cold water, just when you should enjoy your moment. it is even sadder to see the lemmings jump on the band wagon.

Your work is very first rate!
Really like the very finished, polished, look.
Love the clouds and the hi lights.
big or little heads only matter when the over all image is destroyed by the lack of proportion and I cannot see this as
being overt. ( my opinion)
Cheers.

Enjoy being on the header of CGTALK and don't let the negativity of others who should know better bother you.
Cheers.

07 July 2003
you guys are making it painfully obvious that there is an art to a "critique" which seperates it from a simple criticism that has no constructive value.

The painting is really kick ass, my complements oji for you masterful use of colors and lighting. The rim lights and glows are really nice.

It seems you are quite aware of the proportions of the head which signs it off as artistic licencse and not a mistake. Comic book illustrators and even realistic fantasy sci-fi illustrators like Hogarth play with the head proportions all of the time to create what they want.

One major crit though is the metal collar around his neck is off perspective from the line of symmetry of his body which is what makes the head looks wrong. Fix that and you just might see why his collar bone is placed to high on his body.

07 July 2003
Hi all!!!

First of all congrats OLI! It is a superb piece of work.

I agree with some of you that are speaking about irregular sizes. Anyway I think that it is clearly because the cartoon stile. It reminds me the WILD 9 game´s cahracter. For me it´s cartoon in spite of the high detail. The characters In Shreck or similar movies are cartoon characters and they are not missing details so.

I have no doubt about the character gender.

I am not an expert drawer so My crits here can´t be as accurate as some graet drawing artists would make....

Anyway I think there is two kind of crits here..

1-about the design (It is a question of taste. I don´t like the poodles but If I see one good render about them I won´t say the render is not perfect because poodles are ugly dogs)
2-about the execution and technics used (great for me)

All that I can say is that when I see a drawing with such a quality........ I.... I wish I could draw this way.

07 July 2003
Just incredible. I like your style, the drawing is perfect and the ilumination is... awesome. I really want to see more of your artwork. :]

<cool coutrymate piece of encripted secret talking ON>

Felicidades, ¿Cómo es que te descubro hoy?. Controlas el ps a muerte. Ánimo, sigue así. :]

<cool coutrymate piece of encripted secret talking OFF>

Keep on making this great artwork.

Thread Closed share thread